Use Fonts that are stored on printer in Office 365 ProPlus v1908 (semi-annual channel) RRS feed

• Question

• With the 1908 semi-annual channel update, the checkbox under Advanced options for "Use fonts that are stored on the printer" is gone, and bar codes are no longer printing on a locally attached Zebra printer.  The registry setting "UsePrinterFonts" is set to 1, but printing these bar codes still does not work.  I can find no documentation about this setting being removed, but it is gone.  Is there a way to enable Printer Fonts on v1908?

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:09 PM

All replies

• I do not see that option in Word 2010 or 2013. I do not see it in the advanced options print in Word 365 Version 2001 (Insider monthly).

It has been more than a decade since I tried to use printer fonts. Here is the lead article on it:

How to use printer device fonts

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

On my environment with Office 365 ProPlus which is Version 1908 (Build 11929.20562), there is no "Use fonts that are stored on the printer" above the button "Font Substitution". In my opinion, it is changed by designed via updates.

It's recommended to submit this feedback by going to File > Feedback > I Have a Suggestion. You may also go to Word UserVoice forum to raise this problem. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, I find a thread I hope it could be helpful. 

Use fonts that are stored on the printer Excel.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:24 AM
  • I do not see that option in Word 2010 or 2013. I do not see it in the advanced options print in Word 365 Version 2001 (Insider monthly).

It has been more than a decade since I tried to use printer fonts. Here is the lead article on it:

How to use printer device fonts

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Printer fonts were no longer automatically loaded starting with Word 2013.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/discontinued-features-and-changed-functionality-in-word-2013-5d3b898a-7923-4cd3-aff6-3d19e1767155

It is under the "Show document content" section, rather than the Print section.

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

On my environment with Office 365 ProPlus which is Version 1908 (Build 11929.20562), there is no "Use fonts that are stored on the printer" above the button "Font Substitution". In my opinion, it is changed by designed via updates.

It's recommended to submit this feedback by going to File > Feedback > I Have a Suggestion. You may also go to Word UserVoice forum to raise this problem. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, I find a thread I hope it could be helpful. 

Use fonts that are stored on the printer Excel.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thanks.  I will add it to the UserVoice forum as well, but was hoping someone knew anything about it being removed, or how to enable it elsewhere.  Its removal wasn't mentioned in any documentation I could find. 

Unfortunately, the Excel forum answer bore no fruit either.

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

I can understand your needs.

As a workaround, you may roll back to Version 1902 (Build 11328 20512). I test the version, and there is the "Use fonts that are stored on the printer" above the button of "Font Substitution".

Best Regards,

Emily

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

I can understand your needs.

As a workaround, you may roll back to Version 1902 (Build 11328 20512). I test the version, and there is the "Use fonts that are stored on the printer" above the button of "Font Substitution".

Best Regards,

Emily

Everything was working fine on v1902 prior to the update to v1908 on 1/17/20 that deactivated our bar codes.  We have already rolled back to v1902 for now, but unfortunately that is only a temporary fix.  I'm still hoping that Microsoft merely relocated the option rather than removed it altogether.  I have not been able to find documentation either way, though.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I will continue to focus on this issue.

Thanks for you kind understanding.

Best Regards,

Emily

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:53 AM