none
How exactly has Server 2012 R2 "removed" the WMI v1 namespace? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am looking at how changes between Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 R2 might be affecting our software in order to estimate how much testing we will need to do when we move our software to the newer platform.

I have read the TechNet articles Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server 2012 (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303411.aspx) and Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server 2012 R2 (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx) to get a sense of the changes.

In the 2012 post, it mentions under the WMI Provider section "The namespace for version 1.0 of WMI is deprecated. Prepare to adapt scripts for a revised namespace." Then in the Server 2012 R2 post, it says "Namespace for version 1.0 of WMI; WMIC (in WMI)" has been "removed".

What exactly does that mean?

I have...

• searched for articles on what exactly this means and with my google-fu haven't found anything,
    • ran against both servers a few simple scripts using wmic, and don't see any particularly different behaviour in results returned between the two server versions,
    • used WMI Explorer to browse through the "ROOT\CIMV2", "ROOT\Cli", and "ROOT\WMI" namespaces on the two servers and don't see anything particularly arresting in differences between the two (I do notice that 2012 R2 also has ROOT\StandardCimv2 which 2008 R2 doesn't seem to have -- but it doesn't contain anything that seems to be worth the mention it gets in those articles)

What exactly is meant by "Namespace for version 1.0 of WMI; WMIC (in WMI)" is "removed"?

Thanks for your help!

p.s. Hopefully I'm in the right forum... Ed Chan in response to another forum posting about where to ask general WMI questions said this was the place to go...

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:58 AM

All replies

• General WMI 2012 questions should be asked in the 2012 Server forum.

It is unlikely that any of your software will be affected. To determine that you will need to contact the software vendors.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:53 AM
  • Thanks jrv.

I've re-asked the question over in the Server 2012 forum, and from a suggestion there also in the Windows Compatible Desktop Development forum.

I'll leave the question here (and in the other forums) still marked as not-answered for a day or two in order to give time for the "real" answer to be supplied before I clean up all the threads.

Thanks!

• Edited by Glen Scott Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Windows compatibility does not track WMI calls by class.  It tracks API calls.

Only the developer of your applications can tell you if there is an impact.  Likely there isn't as few programs use WMI.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:18 PM