none
Adding existing users to SBS 2011 Console RRS feed

• Question

• I've just recently migrated a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 to SBS 2011. My users are in active directory but do not show up in Users and Groups under the 2011 console. As such when I go to their computer to setup the RDP (via gateway), I can't set them up. Is there a way to update/move users to the 2011 Console, or do I have to export their mail to a pst, delete them, then add and import their mail? Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:30 PM

Answers

• I suspect that part of the problem is that the orginal domain was labled .com, rather than .local?
    I've not had that situation where I've had a migration from .com "local" domain.
    Perhaps that is blocking...

I would move them to MyBusiness/SBSUsers
    Then try the ADSIEdit to change the msSBSCreationState attribute to Created

Then see if you change the User Role

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    • Marked as answer by advlaser Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:47 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:52 PM

All replies

• --
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Have a look here to fix the issue - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527487(WS.10).aspx

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:47 PM
  • This doesn't seem to do it. The migrate wizard for users is only if I'm coming from SBS 2003, but I'm coming from Windows Server 2003 / Exchange Server 2003. On the groups I tried their recommendations using ADSI Edit and changing the SBScreationstate to 8, but they didn't move over to the console either.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:33 PM
  • what is the OU, where these users are located?

--

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:51 PM
  • My OU looks like below. My users from before the migration are still under -Advantage, Users. Any new users I install end up in -MyBusiness,Users, SBSUsers. If tried moving users from the Advantage, Users to SBSUsers. But that doesn't help. They still don't show up as managable users in the SBS Console. I'm less worried about being able to manage them from there than the ability to set them up to use the RDP Gateway, but unless they show up there, I can't assign them a computer. Thanks again. -Marvin

advlaser.com (my domain)
      -Advantage
         -Admin
         -Computers
         -Contacts
         -Groups
         -Servers
         -Users

-MyBusiness
         -Computers
         -Distribution Groups
         -Security Groups
         -Users
           -SBSUsers

Friday, April 1, 2011 5:48 PM
  • I suspect that part of the problem is that the orginal domain was labled .com, rather than .local?
    I've not had that situation where I've had a migration from .com "local" domain.
    Perhaps that is blocking...

I would move them to MyBusiness/SBSUsers
    Then try the ADSIEdit to change the msSBSCreationState attribute to Created

Then see if you change the User Role

--

• Marked as answer by advlaser Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:47 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Just stumbled upon this as I was trying to get a user listed into the console. 
    Whilst the above may work, it is not the best way.

The best (short of deleting and recreating the user with the console) way is:

1. Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Console > Users and Groups > Change user role for user accounts (This is an option listed in the right pane)
    2. Select the role that the user should have, check replace or add user permission in radio buttons, and click next.
    3. In the "Select user accounts" screen, check the box at bottom to "Display all user accounts in the Active Directory" 
    4. Select the user and "Add" them (Button or Double click).
    5. click the "Change user role" button.

The reason I say that this is a better option is that SBS does a lot of things and wherever possible you should stick to the wizards, when creating a user it does a lot more than just setting the CreationState.

Cheers
    Andrew Davis
    Andlin Network Management.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:12 AM
  • Thank you! This worked perfectly and you are right - using the wizard help with all of the other little issues with this user.
    Friday, April 5, 2019 5:03 PM