none
Error 303 While trying to install Protection Agent RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup a test environment with one domain controller, one DPM server and one windows 7 workstation for the purpose of evaluating DPM for use as an enterprise backup solution.  We get to the point where we are trying to install the agent on the workstation and always get error 303 A member could not be added to or removed from the local group because the member does not exist (see screenshot below.)

I have verified that I am logged into all of the systems as a domain administrator.  All updates have been installed from windows update.  There are not firewalls or antivirus or any other software at all installed on any of these systems.  They are all freshly installed for the sole purpose of evaluating DPM 2012.  I have verified that I can ping and map drives to and from all of the workstations and servers (I created firewall exceptions to trust all traffic on the local subnet). 

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• I should also note that I have been able to manually install the agent from the workstation, but I do not see a way to connect it to the server (the setdpmserver.exe utility is no longer provided in 2012) and the console produces a similar error to the screenshot above when I try to attach the newly installed agent.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Hello,

Have you tried installing the agent manually? Please see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757789.aspx

Regards

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:56 PM
  • I followed the instructions in the technet article you lined to.  No change.  As I noted in my original post, I have been able to install the agent manually.  If I then try to attach the new agent from the DPM Administrator Console, it results in an error 274 "Unable to configure security settings..." and goes on to imply that there is an issue with the account I am telling it to use.  In fact, I am telling it to use the domain administrator account (I am logged in as the domain admin on both the server and the workstation, and am entering the domain admin credentials to be used by the Administrator Console). 

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi USER951,

Maybe this post will help you: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/7c037c2c-d1ef-401e-8c6b-e01e496c6ec1

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:08 PM
  • I have now tried the steps outlined in this article as well.  No change.  Results are exactly the same.

It should be noted that before posting here, I have already created firewall rules on all computers in the test environment to trust all traffic on all ports for all programs.  Also, I can ping and map network drives to the admin shares using the domain admin account.  I can create and delete files remotely on the root of the c: drive from each computer to every other computer (this was to test that I had administrator access to all of the computers from every other computer).

• Edited by USER951 Friday, November 9, 2012 4:34 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi USER951,

You said that "I should also note that I have been able to manually install the agent from the workstation, but I do not see a way to connect it to the server (the setdpmserver.exe utility is no longer provided in 2012) and the console produces a similar error to the screenshot above when I try to attach the newly installed agent."

Is this still the case ? => because setdpmserver.exe is still used with DPM 2012 and must be present in DPM bin folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin" of your workstation.

When doing manual installation, DPM binaries agent are in DPM folder "\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\agents\RA\YourbuildNumber\...

Example:

\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\agents\RA\4.0.1915.0\amd64\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2706783_AMD64

Z:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\agents\RA\4.0.1915.0\i386\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2706783

Did-you use these DPM binaries for your installation ?

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:57 AM
  • I did find the setupdpmserver.exe (I had been looking on the server hard drive).  I did run the utility, rebooted the workstation and then tried attaching the client from the administrative console, but reached the same error.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Hi USER951,

Could you try with another Windows seven Workstation ?

If you are using VM in your test environment, verify/be sure that workstation SID is unique.

Stephane

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I just setup a completely new installation of Windows 7 Enterprise and joined it to the test domian.  Same result (Error 303).

Just to be sure, I ran DCDiag from the servers and workstations to make sure they all had good connections and DNS information.  Everything passed with flying colors.  I also installed the administrative tools on the DP server and created a temporary OU.  I was able to find and move the computer object in AD of the target workstation to the temporary OU and back.  I just wanted to test that I had a good connection to Active Directory and DNS.  Also, I tested the DP administrative Console by entering names of workstations that did not exist in the domain.  Those entries errored immediately, indicating that the workstation was not found in AD.  By comparison, both of the test workstations I have setup are found in the domain, although they produce an error later in the process.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hi USER951,

You built this new Workstation from scratch or is it a copy (clone).

Could you verify that workstation SID are unique.

PSGEtSID : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897417

Stephane.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:55 AM
  • DP Server's SIDWorkstation 1 SID
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Workstation 2 SID
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:37 PM
  • All of the SID's are different:  see above
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:37 PM
  • I finally resolved the issue.  To fix it, log into the DP server and click Start  |  Control Panel  |  Add Remove Programs

Highlight Microsoft System Center, then click "Uninstall"

Now download and install the software from this link: http://www.symantec.com/products/data-backup-software

• Marked as answer by USER951 Friday, November 16, 2012 1:44 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 1:44 PM