none
Do Not Want Subtask Total to Roll up to Summary Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2010.  I have a project where resources are reporting time to summary tasks.  However, these summary tasks have subtasks under them that the PM wants to track manually.  For example, a summary task may be "Coding" while there is a subtask for each program being touched for the project.  Basically, this is being done so developers only have one item to report time to instead of possibly trying to split an hour amongst a number of programs.

For the Summary Tasks the columns "Planned Work", "Actual Work" and "Remaining Work" are auto populated based on the time entries recorded by the developers.  The PM also wants to know this information for each program and manually populated it after speaking to the appropriate developer(s).

Using only "Planned Work" as an example, the Summary task already contains a total for this.  The total for each program subtask under it is already included in the Summary task total.  Having the subtask totals roll up into the Summary task total would be double counting everything.

How can I or Can I set up my project plan so Summary Task totals roll up to the overall Project totals, but the Subtask totals do not roll up to the Summary Task totals?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennykat,

As far as I know, you cannot prevent the actual work data from subtasks to be rolled up at summary task level.

Since the information the PM needs to enter seems to be purely informative, I would advice to create a task custom field (choose a number field). Moreover you could roll-down this custom field to assignment rows (check-box while creating the custom field).

In this way, you have no redundant information:

• actual work coming from the resources and approved by the PM would be in the actual work native field at summary tasks level,
    • the detail of this actual work will be manually entered by the PM in the custom field at assignements level.

Logically the line 0 of the project should give the same total of actual work, for both "actual work" native field and for the new custom field.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:55 PM
  • dennykat,

I think you are misusing the summary line and treating it as a task line, which it is not. I understand the convenience of wanting only one place to enter actuals so a much better approach would be to create a project activity (e.g. coding) that is itself a subtask of the overall project summary. With this approach everybody gets what they want. The developers have a single point of data entry, the PM can see the summary for each program, using Project's grouping function if necessary, and there is no double-booking.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

Leave the fields Work, Actual Work and Remaining Work empty for the subtasks. Handle these data in free fields such as Duration1, Duration2 and Duration3 - which you can rename and put a formula in (for instance to keep remaining work=Work-Actual Work)

Greetings,

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:22 PM