none
PS 2010 - Reporting (Project Summary Publish) takes a long time RRS feed

• Question

• This process seems to stick. it clearly has a low priority but even with no other visible activity on the server it takes a long time (10 minutes or more). No errors are reported and it gets there eventually. Plan has 2200 tasks.  It is a POC environment with VM project server (16GB)connected to separate SQL server. The project server does not have a lot of disk space compared to memory and the event log flags this. (RAM 16GB, rem space 10GB).

Is this to be expected?

Thx

Mike

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hello Sleekstone,

As you know it could be a million things that can cause this.  It's hard to say.  In my world, when I see little or no processing and things are taking a long time, then something is waiting, timing out and then waiting.

My suspcion is that the security is not set up right and somewhere in the processing, something is timing out and then things move forward.  I've seen this in the past for simple 10 line projects and it seems to take 5 minutes to save.  This is way before VMs.

Or the DNS is not being used properly, and there is a lot of chatter in finding where things are and eventually it does a broadcast using NETBIOS.

Some things you can do is log into the SQL Profile and look at the durations for project tasks.  Do they seem to be taking a long time. Log the failed logon sessions.  Are you seeing any?

Does this behavior occur with small projects as well?

There is a list of thresholds that can effect performance.  Google it.  For example, if a project duration or a task duration is over 2 years, performance is effected.  The number of tasks is a threshold, but you are well under the number.   Having 5 or more resources assigned to one task can effect performance.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Sleekstone,

As you know it could be a million things that can cause this.  It's hard to say.  In my world, when I see little or no processing and things are taking a long time, then something is waiting, timing out and then waiting.

My suspcion is that the security is not set up right and somewhere in the processing, something is timing out and then things move forward.  I've seen this in the past for simple 10 line projects and it seems to take 5 minutes to save.  This is way before VMs.

Or the DNS is not being used properly, and there is a lot of chatter in finding where things are and eventually it does a broadcast using NETBIOS.

Some things you can do is log into the SQL Profile and look at the durations for project tasks.  Do they seem to be taking a long time. Log the failed logon sessions.  Are you seeing any?

Does this behavior occur with small projects as well?

There is a list of thresholds that can effect performance.  Google it.  For example, if a project duration or a task duration is over 2 years, performance is effected.  The number of tasks is a threshold, but you are well under the number.   Having 5 or more resources assigned to one task can effect performance.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I have this problem too. This is very annoying. Anyone found a solution ? :S

David

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Hello -

I have the same issue.  Not other activity on the system, but the job sits in the queue for 7-8 minutes at 0% but processing.  Looking at the Queue process on the app server it isn't using any additional memory and has 0% CPU.

The problem with this is that very often a PM may want to open the plan again and it's then Read-Only at this point, and remains so until the job finishes.

It doens't seem to matter what the plan is. Task durations are short (few weeks), very few resources, etc.  The scenario is the same.

David

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:17 AM