App-V 5.0 concurrent licenses for virtualized apps RRS feed

• Question

• As we all know from AppV 4.6, a virtualized application can be associated with a concurrent license counter in the Management Console, which allows applications to be started by clients until the number of concurrent licenses are exceeded.  I HOPE this this feature is still available in App-V 5.0, but in the beta that I have downloaded the documention doesn't seem to mention this feature.  I am wondering if anyone knows one way or the other whether concurrent license counts will still be available for App-V 5 apps?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

• The answer from connect in: ...” Unfortunately we were not able to provide concurrent licensing support in App-V 5.0…”, which is quite ridiculous. I can’t imagine how may I manage licenses without this feature!

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you post this question on Connect

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:04 AM
  • The answer from connect in: ...” Unfortunately we were not able to provide concurrent licensing support in App-V 5.0…”, which is quite ridiculous. I can’t imagine how may I manage licenses without this feature!

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:57 AM
  • How would you manage the concurrent licenses if you weren't using App-V?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:07 AM
  • I should say that I can't imagine how to SIMPLE manage concurrent licenses. The case is even more ridiculous if you remember that this feature is present in APP-V 4.6. What is the reason that it's not implemented in APP-V 5.0 ??
    Friday, November 2, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

That conversation would probably be better held with Microsoft employees through their official channels, rather than a community discussion. I would guess that anything discussed here would be rumours as usually Microsoft doesn't reveal why they don't implement something.

My _guess_ would be that since App-V 4.X has coexistance possibilties with App-V 5.0, there isn't a strict need to straight away implement that feature as any application that requires such an implementation can still be provided with App-V 4.X. That would mean that it could show up in the future release. Or that they simple decided that the need might be fulfilled using a different solution. or that not enough people require it. Or something else that I couldn't imagine.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:04 AM