Windows Server 2008 R2 DFS + Windows XP clients = Incredibly slow explorer.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We recently migrated an old Win2003 file server to domain based DFS on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. Since this migration, most Windows XP users are now complaining that the explorer process freezes constantly. It doesn't seem to matter if they're accessing mapped network drives (which are now mapped to DFS UNC paths) or their local C drives. The explorer process will hang and become unresponsive for anywhere between 3-4 seconds to 30 seconds.

Another strange thing about this, is that the few Windows 7 clients we have are completely unaffected, which leads me to believe that we have some problem with Windows XP and DFS running on Win 2008 R2.

Some more info on our setup: Most clients are running Win XP SP3, except a few Win 7 clients.
    The DFS folders only have one folder target which is on the same LAN as the clients.

I am hoping there's a patch or registry setting, that gives us proper compatibility with WinXP and the new DFS/SMB protocol.

Best Regards,

Henrik

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:06 AM

Answers

• I just confirmed that the problem IS in fact somehow related to DNS resolution. I went to a client, which was acting incredibly slow, pinged our internal domain and it resolved to a branch office DC. I then did an ipconfig -flushdns until it resolved a local DC and everything was fast again.

In other words, it looks like Win XP is not "intelligent" enough to use local DC/GC for DFS info and will rely solely on DNS info regarding where to get DFS information. Our few Win7 clients had no issues at all.

I have resolved the issue by rolling out a custom hosts file to the XP clients, forcing them to resolve the domain name only to local DCs.

Best Regards,

Henrik
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:06 AM

All replies

• I just confirmed that the problem IS in fact somehow related to DNS resolution. I went to a client, which was acting incredibly slow, pinged our internal domain and it resolved to a branch office DC. I then did an ipconfig -flushdns until it resolved a local DC and everything was fast again.

In other words, it looks like Win XP is not "intelligent" enough to use local DC/GC for DFS info and will rely solely on DNS info regarding where to get DFS information. Our few Win7 clients had no issues at all.

I have resolved the issue by rolling out a custom hosts file to the XP clients, forcing them to resolve the domain name only to local DCs.

Best Regards,

Henrik
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Notice:

On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 4, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Notice:

On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 4, 2010 2:21 AM