none
FIM 2010 updates: error on installation RRS feed

• Question

• I had a fine working lab environment, and now it's a bit broken... Because i had an error with my cross forest gal sync configuration (config of other forest MA stated "the ldap server is unavailable" whilst configuring the containers was ok... So I though the update couldn't harm.

The first one went fine, the second one started with an error: Error 25070.Error connecting to database FIMSynchronizationService. Invalid class string

Update rolled back, requested a reboot. Now both FIM services are started (sync and service) but I can't launch the sync manager...

Update install log:

Error 25070.Error connecting to database FIMSynchronizationService. Invalid class string

Error 25009.The Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service MSDN setup wizard cannot configure the specified database.  Invalid class string

=== Logging stopped: 1-5-2010  15:19:18 ===

The erorr when starting the sync manager: "unable to connect to synchronizaton service. Some possible reassons are: service not started, your not member of the required security group ...."

The updates: http://www.identitychaos.com/2010/04/fim-2010-update-1-released-to-windows.html

Any thoughts?

Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• I got some further... Well I got my Synchronization Manager back at least.

Read the following if you're interessed: http://setspn.blogspot.com/2010/05/fim-2010-update-kb978864-install-issue.html

But I still haven't got the 2nd patch to install Ok.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:55 PM
  • If you have SQL off-box from the Sync Engine, you have to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=148928.

/Andreas

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/copyright.htm
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Andreas,

You just nailed it...Many thanks for the quick response.

Installed the "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client" and the update went fine. And my DCOM permissions are staying as they should. All in all that was a weird side effect.

P.S. I Might be mistaken, but this isn't amonst the hardware/software requirements of the FIM components. Might be usefull to add.

Regards,

Thomas

Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:39 PM
  • It is a change from RTM and is in the Release Notes. The publishing of the Release Notes is delayed, so it is hard to know this change.

We have changed the SQL provider and this change will make the Sync Engine on average 10% faster.

/Andreas

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/copyright.htm
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for the info. It is really great having you guys helping this way (and fast). Otherwise some of these experiences could be rather frustrating :)
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:11 PM
  • It is a change from RTM and is in the Release Notes. The publishing of the Release Notes is delayed, so it is hard to know this change.

We have changed the SQL provider and this change will make the Sync Engine on average 10% faster.

/Andreas

Any news on when the Release Notes will be made available?  This update has been live nearly a week.

Regards, Steven.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:27 AM
  • I've installed the SQL server 2008 Native Client as recomended but still receive an install failure of the same nature.

Here's my errors:

Error 25070.Error connecting to database FIMSynchronizationService. Invalid class string

Error 25009.The Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service setup wizard cannot configure the specified database.  Invalid class string

Any advice?

Terry

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:41 PM
  • I was able to get through the update. Launched cliconfg.exe and enabled Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols...

Hope this might help someone else in the future..

Terry

• Proposed as answer by Brad Turner Friday, June 4, 2010 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:22 PM
  • While trying to install the hotfix/patch for 4.0.3576.2 on our FIM Sync server, we got this error:

Error 25070 Error connecting to database FIMSynchronizationService These workstations have sessions with open files on this server

The SQL server was on a different machine, and the native client on the sync server was the latest version.  This machine was 2008 R2 64 bit.

The account that is running the .msp update *must* be a sysadmin on the database server or it will return this strange error and fail.
    • Edited by m_a_tt Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:44 PM
  • The same "account that is running the .msp update *must* be a sysadmin on the database server or it will return this strange error and fail" goes for the latest Update 2 (4.0.3606.2)

Matt

• Edited by m_a_tt Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:14 PM