none
ACWP and BCWP RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Hello,
    1) I am having some trouble with Project 2010 and ACWP and BCWP.  I previously set BaseLine #1 when we setting up the project – now we have updated the project with a lot of Actual Cost data and have set a new Baseline #2.  When I look at the ACWP and the BCWP columns I see a number of tasks that look like the example below where some of the fields are $0.00.  This is of course causing issues with the roll ups and the usefulness of the data.

    Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can correct this?

     

    2) As a secondary question – I see a number in the fixed cost column but we do not have any fixed costs on these tasks.  When I change the column to $0.00 Project modifies my Actual Cost column.  I do not want this as we know the actual cost of the task and have entered it as such.  If this is an ignorable issue then I will ignore it but I wonder if it has something to do with Question #1.

     

    Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide,

    Matt

     

    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:24 PM

Answers

  • 1) My guess is that you need to move the status date out to see ACWP or BCWP change....either that or the answer to your next question may be relevant...

    2) When you set Project to accept manual input of actual costs, which it looks like you have done, then each time you enter an actual cost, it offsets that entry in the Fixed Cost column with a negative number (or something like that).  I forget the exact details, but here's a couple of blog posts on the topic: http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/09/06/tracking-actual-costs-in-microsoft-project-2010-part-i/.  That would explain why your Fixed Costs are appearing negative.  It's possible that the negative values are offsetting the entered values.

    The way around this that I've found is to enter Actual Work at the same time as Actual Cost.  This removes the program's requirement to offset the Actual Cost with negative values in the Fixed Cost column.


    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:10 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply. I was troubleshooting this some more and discovered some very strange behavior. I was adjusting the status date of the project to random dates and noticed that if I put the date somewhere into the future that the columns displayed the correct data - this got me thinking. I added the Early Start and Early Finish columns into the view and, low and behold, the task was not scheduled to start or finish until into the future - even though it was already 100% complete - hence why the values were not calculating. Well this date adjustment made no sense for me so for some reason I decided to put the % complete on task 42 to 0% then change it back to 100%. This change - for some unknown reason - readjusted the start/finish dates back to their original values and caused the associated NPV data to update.

    Very strange.

    I have performed the same changes on the other tasks that were displaying $0.00 in the ACWP column and they also readjusted the start/finish dates and updated the NPV values.  I have no idea why the change from 100% complete to 0% complete back to 100% complete would elicit this behavior.

    ~ Matt

    • Marked as answer by MB2009 Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:54 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

  • 1) My guess is that you need to move the status date out to see ACWP or BCWP change....either that or the answer to your next question may be relevant...

    2) When you set Project to accept manual input of actual costs, which it looks like you have done, then each time you enter an actual cost, it offsets that entry in the Fixed Cost column with a negative number (or something like that).  I forget the exact details, but here's a couple of blog posts on the topic: http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/09/06/tracking-actual-costs-in-microsoft-project-2010-part-i/.  That would explain why your Fixed Costs are appearing negative.  It's possible that the negative values are offsetting the entered values.

    The way around this that I've found is to enter Actual Work at the same time as Actual Cost.  This removes the program's requirement to offset the Actual Cost with negative values in the Fixed Cost column.


    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:10 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply. I was troubleshooting this some more and discovered some very strange behavior. I was adjusting the status date of the project to random dates and noticed that if I put the date somewhere into the future that the columns displayed the correct data - this got me thinking. I added the Early Start and Early Finish columns into the view and, low and behold, the task was not scheduled to start or finish until into the future - even though it was already 100% complete - hence why the values were not calculating. Well this date adjustment made no sense for me so for some reason I decided to put the % complete on task 42 to 0% then change it back to 100%. This change - for some unknown reason - readjusted the start/finish dates back to their original values and caused the associated NPV data to update.

    Very strange.

    I have performed the same changes on the other tasks that were displaying $0.00 in the ACWP column and they also readjusted the start/finish dates and updated the NPV values.  I have no idea why the change from 100% complete to 0% complete back to 100% complete would elicit this behavior.

    ~ Matt

    • Marked as answer by MB2009 Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:54 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:54 PM