File Won't Delete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a user who has tried to delete a particular file but it does not delete. The user has contribute permissions on the file.

Is there any reason it will not delete?

Regards

Paul

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can the user open and edit the file?

Sometimes a file can become 'locked', a little bit like when a file on a file share is locked by one user and another user can't edit it (in fact I think this only happens where users use explorer view or WebDav to access files in SharePoint, but I'm not 100% sure).

This can prevent the file being deleted, and if a user tries to edit it in Office they typically get a message that someone else is editing the file.

Generally if someone can check the file out and check it back in again this seems to clear the lock and it can then be edited / deleted again.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Hello, 

please attachment screenshot. if any error or warning. 

Unloker 1.9.2  File Deleting  http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ error :- canot delete folder , it is being used by another person or program OR Canot delete file access is denied OR the source or destination file may be in use OR write - protected files 

i hope your problem will resolve. 

if you have any query kindly revert to me. 

Thank You 
    Dhananjay

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:16 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Is there any error message after the use deleted the file?

If yes, please provide the error message.

Please try to follow the steps in the below link and test whether the issue occurs.

http://www.matthewjbailey.com/cannot-delete-document-item-sharepoint/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:04 AM