Power plan changes automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I stepped away from my system for 3 hours to return and find the monitr on and no sleep mode. This has happened before even in Vista. It will switch to Power Saver mode, which should still blank the screen, but there it sits screen shining on.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the energy efficiency report, I noticed that there are a couple of USB devices (printer, wireless mouse, USB hub and Keyboard .etc) preventing the computer from entering sleep mode, do you happen to connect all these devices in one USB hub? If it is the case, these USB devices may function incorrectly.  I recommend you to disconnect all USB devices and put the computer to sleep mode, then see if the sleep works.

Moreover, there are some errors related to Power Policy, have you configured any power policy settings on your local computer? If the computer is joined to a domain enviorment, the power management settings may be configured by the network administrator, to enable the USB selective suspend feature, you may need to contact the administrator. You can go to Device Manager to check the USB devices to see if there are power management choice for allowing the computer to turn off the device to save power. If so, check it.

If the issue persists even disconnect all USB devices, it can be related to USB device driver, I recommend you to uninstall USB controller driver and reinstall the latest version.

To reinstall USB controller
    =================

Please note: here we use the mouse to finish the following steps, it is recommended to use the generic mouse. If you use the MS 6000 mnouse and keyboad, you need to obtain the mouse and keyboard software for Windows 7.

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

BTW, let's also try to obtain the updates for USB in Windows 7.

List of the latest USB hotfixes for each Windows version

Best Regards.
    Dale  
    • Marked as answer by LegolasX2 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, I would like to share with the following help documents.

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

If the above methods doesn't work, please run powercfg -devicequery wake_armed command to check if any device blocks the sleep. BTW, could you help collecting energy efficiency report.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Thanks for the help. I can't get the first link to work and the "collecting..." doesn't do anything. I just thought someone may have experienced this. Itonly happens every couple of months s it will be real hard t find for sure.

Thankls again,
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:03 PM
  • It's possible the mouse is on the hairy edge of sending a "moved" code, and ambient vibration is causing it to occasionally jiggle past that edge.

-Noel
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Sorry for the dead link. Here is the correct link for collecting energy efficiency report. With the detail energy report, we can perform a further analyzing. BTW, since the issue occurred with Windows Vista before, I suspect that it may be related to BIOS settings as well. I recommend you to check in BIOS to verify if any specific setting is related to sleep.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for the link. I got the instructions and my system is a wreck! I have 18 errors! I only understand 4 of them ; \ My MS 6000 mnouse and keyboad go out during sleep. I'm baffeled with this report.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name

COREI7

Scan Time

2009-11-30T19:51:01Z

Scan Duration

60 seconds

System Manufacturer

System manufacturer

System Product Name

System Product Name

BIOS Date

11/12/2009

BIOS Version

OS Build

Platform Role

PlatformRoleDesktop

Plugged In

true

Process Count

Thread Count

Report GUID

{a9b75e1b-5e02-4469-90a3-d3498a429fe4}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In)

The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in.

Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)

The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.

Power Policy:USB Selective Suspend is disabled (Plugged In)

The current power policy has globally disabled USB selective suspend.

Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)

The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A38

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 1

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A38

Port Path

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A37

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A37

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A39

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 2

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A39

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A3C

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 7

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A3C

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A34

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A34

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A35

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 1

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A35

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A36

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 2

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A36

Port Path

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A3A

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7

Device ID

USB\VID_8086&PID_3A3A

Port Path

Device Name

Generic USB Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A3A

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7

Device ID

USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608

Port Path

Device Name

USB Printing Support

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A37

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0

Device ID

USB\VID_04F9&PID_0029

Port Path

Device Name

Generic USB Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A3C

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 26, function 7

Device ID

USB\VID_0409&PID_005A

Port Path

Device Name

USB Composite Device

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A34

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0

Device ID

USB\VID_099A&PID_2000

Port Path

Device Name

Microsoft Hardware wireless mouse driver

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A36

Host Controller Location

Device ID

USB\VID_045E&PID_00E1

Port Path

Device Name

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A36

Host Controller Location

Device ID

USB\VID_045E&PID_00F9

Port Path

Thanks again for the help,
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

From the energy efficiency report, I noticed that there are a couple of USB devices (printer, wireless mouse, USB hub and Keyboard .etc) preventing the computer from entering sleep mode, do you happen to connect all these devices in one USB hub? If it is the case, these USB devices may function incorrectly.  I recommend you to disconnect all USB devices and put the computer to sleep mode, then see if the sleep works.

Moreover, there are some errors related to Power Policy, have you configured any power policy settings on your local computer? If the computer is joined to a domain enviorment, the power management settings may be configured by the network administrator, to enable the USB selective suspend feature, you may need to contact the administrator. You can go to Device Manager to check the USB devices to see if there are power management choice for allowing the computer to turn off the device to save power. If so, check it.

If the issue persists even disconnect all USB devices, it can be related to USB device driver, I recommend you to uninstall USB controller driver and reinstall the latest version.

To reinstall USB controller
    =================

Please note: here we use the mouse to finish the following steps, it is recommended to use the generic mouse. If you use the MS 6000 mnouse and keyboad, you need to obtain the mouse and keyboard software for Windows 7.

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

BTW, let's also try to obtain the updates for USB in Windows 7.

List of the latest USB hotfixes for each Windows version

Best Regards.
    Dale  
    • Marked as answer by LegolasX2 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Thanks for the info and help. All my USB devices are on individual ports. I have my MS 6000 keyboard and mouse set to not wake up the system. I have a Revotec gaming keyboard and it goes off when the system sleeps. I hyave a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate from early October and Win 7 IntelliPoint/Type.

My system normally goes right to sleep several times a day but once in awhile (months apart) it has the screen shining on and I noticed the last time my Power was set to Balanced. I run Performance and wondered why it changed by itself and even the Balanced setting has the screen to turn off at 15 minutes.

It no big deal. I juist have to remember to force it to sleep before leaving it unattended.

Thanks again for all the help. I learned alot!
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:01 PM