Rules disappeared after adding an exchange account RRS feed

• Question

• User with desktop Outlook 2016 - had only a POP3 account.
    Around 7-10 days ago, we added an Exchange Office 365 account into the Outlook.
    Ensured that the POP3 account remained as the default, along with its data file.

All rules disappeared - I am aware of the dropdown in the rules - they aren't visible under either account in the dropdown.

We are not seeing any error as the recent known issue - is the rules being deleted related to this issue?
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/outlook-error-the-operation-failed-when-selecting-manage-rules-alerts-64b6ff77-98c2-4564-9cbf-25bd8e17fb8b

I gather this is the same as the advisory for Exchange: EX171088 - Unable to manage rules in the Outlook client

If I open a backed up .pst file from prior, can I recover the rules and export them somehow - in case it's not related and/or they don't reappear after the fix. I'd prefer to do that immediately before older backups are overwritten. 

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi OttIT,

From what I know, the issue described in your thread is not the same thing as is mentioned in the link you shared above. 

For your situation, I've seen other users reported that Exchange may set itself as the default data file in Account Setting in another thread, so personally I'd like to suggest double checking if the default data file is correct. 

As regards to recover from the backed up .pst, generally it is feasible to recover the rules from a copy of the original PST file. You may try recreating a new profile, add the POP account, and see if the rules can be retrieved from the backup .pst. If it works, it is recommended to export the rules to RWZ file for safety. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Hi OttIT,

May I know how everything is going on with the issue? If the information above was useful, do you mind helping mark the post as answer to close the thread? If there is anything else I can help regarding this question, please feel free to post back :-)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:29 AM
  • This is reproduceable.

I have set up a couple of users now and it's happening with every one. Once I add the Exchange account it decides to set itself as the default and pops up a warning mentioning some data will be moved. But there is no warning that rules will not be migrated. They just disappear. 

*I* know this and have noted to export the rules separately before proceeding, but I am certain this shouldn't be happening. 

Sunday, March 10, 2019 4:41 PM
  • This has just happened to me too - hundreds of rules with my POP3, after adding a Office 365 account (and ensuring that both the original POP3 data file and the POP3 account are set to default at creation time), all my rules have disappeared, and do not appear in either of the drop downs. I have other POP3 accounts with rules too, but they've also disappeared.

I work at home, so this is my preferred method of working - the office 365 account is just one of my clients, so its secondary to my main POP3. Luckily I have many backups of my PST, so I've copied an old backup, exported the rules, and I've just re-imported them - though they now seem to apply to all of my POP3 accounts rather than the individual ones. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for me as I don't get much mail to my other POP3's, but I can see how it might be for some people.

I received a generic message when I set this up saying the Office 365 account *should* be the default account, and does not work well otherwise - but no details about what might happen.

Saturday, March 16, 2019 6:14 AM