none
Wake On LAN, then PXE Boot, Then Join Multicast Deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• We would like to automate reimaging laptops with Windows 7 while they are powered off in a charging cart. 

I know MDT can be set to run a deployment sequence automatically, I'm looking for more info.

We will do the WOL manually, but then need the rest to happen without further manual interaction.

Is there a way to use WOL to not only wake these laptops, but also boot them into PXE boot without having to press F12 and have this happen only when they start via WOL so that they do not try to PXE boot automatically every time they are powered on or reboot?

Can an OS deployment sequence be set up so that the OS deployment only launches automatically skipping all wizard pages when a specific set of computers (MAC addresses?) connect so if any other random computers boot to MDT, those other computers still get the menu that lets you choose which task sequence you want to run? 

Since we will not be able to see the laptop screens with the lids closed, we need the multicast OS deployment to start automatically once all the computers in the group boot and join the session.

Can all of this be done without SCCM? 

Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:30 AM

Answers

• Jesus, English only please.

The ability to force WOL *AND* PXE boot will be Hardware Specific. I believe the Intel VPro technologies allow for this, but I have not done this before.

If I were to do this, I would do the following (working backwards):

Configure your MDT share to silently run your task sequence with a pre-set collection of apps/settings.

Configure you bootstrap.ini to auto-connect to your deployment share.

Configure your WDS Server to auto-connect to the silent MDT WinPE image.

Configure your WDS Server *not* to wait for F12 prompts, but to auto respond to any PXE requests.

Then you can configure each laptop to boot to PXE *first* in the BIOS boot order. As a safety measure, you could also configure each laptop to boot to HDD first, then PXE second. To force PXE, run a script locally to: Diskpart.exe --> sel disk 0 --> inactive --> exit --> shutdown -r -f -t 0.

You could configure this script to run only if it detects that the laptop can communicate with the PXE Server (is present in the dock).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• Jesus, English only please.

The ability to force WOL *AND* PXE boot will be Hardware Specific. I believe the Intel VPro technologies allow for this, but I have not done this before.

If I were to do this, I would do the following (working backwards):

Configure your MDT share to silently run your task sequence with a pre-set collection of apps/settings.

Configure you bootstrap.ini to auto-connect to your deployment share.

Configure your WDS Server to auto-connect to the silent MDT WinPE image.

Configure your WDS Server *not* to wait for F12 prompts, but to auto respond to any PXE requests.

Then you can configure each laptop to boot to PXE *first* in the BIOS boot order. As a safety measure, you could also configure each laptop to boot to HDD first, then PXE second. To force PXE, run a script locally to: Diskpart.exe --> sel disk 0 --> inactive --> exit --> shutdown -r -f -t 0.

You could configure this script to run only if it detects that the laptop can communicate with the PXE Server (is present in the dock).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Is there some way to the MDT to be silent only when specific computers connect?

These laptops will be different from all of our other computers that will need us to have a wizard so we can manually select the deployment task we want to use.

We do not want every computer on the network that PXE boots for some reason to start automatically running an OS deployment.  This is only for a specific set of laptops.

Can MDT be configured to recognize computers in some way (such as by MAC address) and only silently start deploying a Task Sequence if the MAC address matches a list?  

And also not start this multicast deployment until all of the members of this list have connected?

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:49 PM