Embedded art in MP3 ID3v2 tags RRS feed

• Question

•  

Apologies if the title is confusing. Hopefully the explanation is less so.

I've a pet project where I'd like to display embedded MP3 album art. Using TagLib#, implemented the standard methods (ID3v1 was straightforward and ID3v2 only slightly more complicated). However discovered most of my collection does not have standard embedded art. I only believed it did, because Windows displays it (both in the folder view and inside Media Player.

After much googling, discovered WMP uses private (PRIV) frames, rather than the standard (APIC) for attached pictures in ID3v2. Nowhere can I find these documented. After spending hours attempting to guess which frames were used and the format, decided this might merit input from the heavy hitters here.

I had realized Microsoft "did their own thing" with tags, having trouble keeping my collection in sync between machines, turned off automatic tag updating long ago. Just never needed to understand technical details until now.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:52 PM

Answers

• As far as I know, WMP doesn't use PRIV frames for storing album art. Rather, it stores the album art as hidden JPG files alongside the music files. If you don't see these files in Windows Explorer, make sure that it's set to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.

Note that album art that is manually added by the user (e.g. Paste album art) gets both embedded as an APIC frame and stored as JPG, while album art from WMP's automatic lookups only gets stored as JPG.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 8, 2014 10:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:11 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, WMP doesn't use PRIV frames for storing album art. Rather, it stores the album art as hidden JPG files alongside the music files. If you don't see these files in Windows Explorer, make sure that it's set to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.

Note that album art that is manually added by the user (e.g. Paste album art) gets both embedded as an APIC frame and stored as JPG, while album art from WMP's automatic lookups only gets stored as JPG.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 8, 2014 10:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Thank you!  

Not certain what led me down the path to believing the JPEGs were hidden in the tag.  Trying to make it complicated, I suppose. 

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:03 PM