none
DPM 2007 Administrator Console starts then crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a problem with running the DPM 2007 Adminstrator Console on a DELL Windows 2003 Storage Server - the console starts and displays the protection groups report window for about 10 seconds, then it crashes with the following error:

AppName: DPM  AppVer: 2.0.8851.0 ModName: mmc.exe
    ModVer: 5.2.3790.3959  StackHash: DF3AA15C

The DPM Command Shell starts & I've done a >GET-PROTECTIONGROUP in it and got a list of all the protection groups.  I gues that shows the DPm server is working in some sense, so I am hoping this is just a GUI / MMC error but I'm not sure.  If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.  I have already restarted all the DPM and disk-related services and confirmed that the disk with the DPM volumes on it can be seen in "computer management" console.

Many thanks!

Peter

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You are running 8851. There have been two versions released (8861 and 8864) later than what you currently have, that addresses various causes of console crashes. The issue still may occur even if you were to update the DPM server to the latest version if the database corruption is too severe.

I'd suggest to updae to the latest version.  If the issue still persists then open up a support case with Microsoft in order that a user dump may be taken to help accurately diagnose what the cause may be which in turn may lead to a resolution.

I'm afraid that anything less than that will be a shot in the dark as causes can be wide and varying. If you do not wish to go that route however, below are a few things you can check on.

1.) Exclude DPM from being scanned by antivirus as per: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808691.aspx
    2.) Check for disk errors via chkdsk in read only mode. "chkdsk" no switches.
    3.) Look for VDS errors.
    4.) Look for resource limits that you may be hitting.
    5.) Look for hardware conflicts. Example: You removed a tape drive from this server HOWEVER there is still a protection group that lists that drive for the monthly backups in the protection group settings.
    6.) Do you have any custom scripts being ran on the DPM server that are running during the DPM garbage collection times? (12 midnight)
    7.) Do you have any custom scripts that are modifying the disk allocation with DPM?

These are just a few things to look at but ultimately you may have to open up a support case with Microsoft.

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• I don’t think you are running the latest version.  Try to update it to latest version (02.00.8864). 

http://portal.sivarajan.com/2009/12/dpm-2007-hotfix-and-service-pack.html

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Santosh,

Hi!  Thank you for the suggestion and the useful web page.  However when I reviewed the Microsoft pages for the two hotfixes I am missing neither of them is intended to fix the problem that I have.  I would feel more comfortable getting my current system working again - as it did just a few days ago - before applying the hot fixes.

If anyone has any further suggestions I would certainly welcome them also.

Thanks again Santosh,

Regards

Peter

Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Hello,

You are running 8851. There have been two versions released (8861 and 8864) later than what you currently have, that addresses various causes of console crashes. The issue still may occur even if you were to update the DPM server to the latest version if the database corruption is too severe.

I'd suggest to updae to the latest version.  If the issue still persists then open up a support case with Microsoft in order that a user dump may be taken to help accurately diagnose what the cause may be which in turn may lead to a resolution.

I'm afraid that anything less than that will be a shot in the dark as causes can be wide and varying. If you do not wish to go that route however, below are a few things you can check on.

1.) Exclude DPM from being scanned by antivirus as per: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808691.aspx
    2.) Check for disk errors via chkdsk in read only mode. "chkdsk" no switches.
    3.) Look for VDS errors.
    4.) Look for resource limits that you may be hitting.
    5.) Look for hardware conflicts. Example: You removed a tape drive from this server HOWEVER there is still a protection group that lists that drive for the monthly backups in the protection group settings.
    6.) Do you have any custom scripts being ran on the DPM server that are running during the DPM garbage collection times? (12 midnight)
    7.) Do you have any custom scripts that are modifying the disk allocation with DPM?

These are just a few things to look at but ultimately you may have to open up a support case with Microsoft.

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:37 PM