Visual C++ Runtimes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Do Visual C++ Redistributable packages with SP1 supersede their correspondent packages without SP1? For example, does this package supersede this one? I'm not talking about different versions or WinSxS.

Thanks

Friday, December 2, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In the case of installing the VS 2010 RTM Redistributable packages it shouldn’t really do anything if you already have VS 2010 SP1 Redistributable packages installed since they install the same files in the same place. ). I believe the way the SP1 installer works that if you don’t have the RTM redists installed, it still has the whole payload to install the required files to keep you in an up to date state.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Cloud_TS Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ryathkim Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Try posting this question in the "Visual C++ General" Forum at the following address

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/vcgeneral/threads

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Marked as answer by Ryathkim Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• Bump for interest!
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Try posting this question in the "Visual C++ General" Forum at the following address

Bye.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Hi,

In the case of installing the VS 2010 RTM Redistributable packages it shouldn’t really do anything if you already have VS 2010 SP1 Redistributable packages installed since they install the same files in the same place. ). I believe the way the SP1 installer works that if you don’t have the RTM redists installed, it still has the whole payload to install the required files to keep you in an up to date state.

Alex Zhao

• Edited by Cloud_TS Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ryathkim Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:14 AM

Bye.

Will do, thanks.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi,

Alex Zhao

Thanks Alex, that's what I thought too.
    • Unmarked as answer by Ryathkim Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:05 PM