none
Error code: 0xc0000001 is preventing me from being able to boot up after a problem with the Windows 10 upgrade didn't download correctly, and I am not able to boot up my Toshiba laptop in order to return the system back to Windows 8.1. Any thoughts?

Question

•    Evidently while trying to take advantage of the Windows 10 Upgrade, somehow some damage was done to a file(s) from my old  Windows 8.1 OS pertaining to a missing, or damaged, file....  \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe  ...  which in turn rewflects an Error code:  0xc0000001...

At any rate, as a result, I am not able to boot up without an installation disc, nor perform the requested "Restart" to continue with the Windows 8.1 reinstallation because of this Error, and missing file(s), and am at my wits end...

Please does anyone have any idea what my best course of action might be at this point, as I have seeminglly tried everything that I could think of for the better part of two weeks now.

Last night a gal that lives a few doors down checked in on me, because she hadn't seen me for those two weeks and was just pretty concerned about whether I was allright or not, and she suggested that I take the laptop to an outside Technician, but unfortunately, I am a disabled  U.S. Veteran, and I just don't have alot of money to work with.

If someone could please help me with this litlle bit of a predicament, I would surely appreciate it more than you could ever know.

Thank you....  And I Wish you Happy Holidays!

-Otto Pedersen

Friday, November 27, 2015 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here's an similar thread about your question, please refer to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/file-windowssystem32winloadexe-error-code/d64439a9-17ca-49b6-8d63-b41fa78bb608?auth=1

"This error usually occurs if the Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store or the Boot\BCD file on is damaged or missing.

If this is a recently built new PC and you are unable to boot in normal mode, let’s try the following steps booting from an installation disc or USB and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Let’s perform startup repair and check if that helps.

a. Insert the Windows installation DVD or USB and boot Windows from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 2:

You may try to rebuild the BCD booting from the disc and follow these instructions:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on‘next’.

c. Click on Repair your computer.

d. Click on Troubleshoot and then selectAdvanced Options.

e. Click on Command prompt and type the following commands and pressEnter after each command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

f. Restart the computer. Check if the issue persists."

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:30 AM

All replies

• Sorry to hear about you problems with the Windows update.

Do you have data on the machine that you need to recover? (that changes what options in what order we may try)

What installation disk do you have? (.i.e. is it a manufacture provided recovery CD\DVD or a standard Windows setup DVD, if so what version)

Basically thinking when to try a repair install with Windows DVD, if that does not work do a clean install of Windows (or use a manufacture recovery disc) . But need to make sure any data on the machine in the backed up before attempting that.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Here's an similar thread about your question, please refer to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/file-windowssystem32winloadexe-error-code/d64439a9-17ca-49b6-8d63-b41fa78bb608?auth=1

"This error usually occurs if the Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store or the Boot\BCD file on is damaged or missing.

If this is a recently built new PC and you are unable to boot in normal mode, let’s try the following steps booting from an installation disc or USB and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Let’s perform startup repair and check if that helps.

a. Insert the Windows installation DVD or USB and boot Windows from it.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 2:

You may try to rebuild the BCD booting from the disc and follow these instructions:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

c. Click on Repair your computer.

d. Click on Troubleshoot and then selectAdvanced Options.

e. Click on Command prompt and type the following commands and pressEnter after each command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

f. Restart the computer. Check if the issue persists."

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:30 AM