401 error on custome pages RRS feed

• Question

• We have a MOSS 2007 server we are using as a public server.  We added some content pages based on a new page layout file and on those pages we are gatting a 401.5 error.  We have many other content and applications pages that are displaying just fine.  3 of us have looked over the solution for the last two days and found nothing different with this page layout compared to others that are working and found nothing.

The only thing I have found that may be related is if the layout is not being published. I have my doubts, since it is compiled with other page layouts that are working, but I don't know how to rule it out, since the consultant that set up the server has it fixed so that I cannot authenticate and get into the Site Settings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rod

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:42 PM

Answers

• Have you introduced some custom dlls related to your master page, page layouts?

If yes, please register them as safe in the web.config.

Also, are you trying to access the pages (that are giving 401) as anonymous users? And if you say something went wrong when you added the new master page. Can you please check your master page for any faults?

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCTS

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• What mode of authentiacation are you using for the site? Have you configured anonymous access?

Can you please try to check the page in SharePoint Designer. Also, can you please create pages in the Pages library with other page layouts which according to you are published, and check if you are getting the error.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response Huzefa.

Trying to check the page in Sharepoint designer gave us more to work with.  It turns out that now all pages in the en/us/Pages folder have the error 'The base type 'MasterPages' is not allowed for this page. The type is not registered as safe.'

Most of the pages are using master pages that do work from other folders, so I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the master page, but something is wrong with the folder.

Oh, and the site is configured for anonymous access.  Many of these pages had been working until we added a new master page.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Have you introduced some custom dlls related to your master page, page layouts?

If yes, please register them as safe in the web.config.

Also, are you trying to access the pages (that are giving 401) as anonymous users? And if you say something went wrong when you added the new master page. Can you please check your master page for any faults?

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:53 PM