Windows Vista Home Basic wont boot up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I hope you can help me here. For the better part of 6 months now I have had my computer just suddenly shut down show me a blue screen with some writing on it, which i cannot get to read because it goes quickly, and then restart again.

I am able to do what I want on the computer normally but it keep shutting down and restarting.

a couple of times it has not restarted completely..and I had to use a windows Vista start-up recovery disc to get it running again.

I have scanned the computer a number of times and found an infection (C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\zypiozoa.sys) and each time I think I have deleted it, days later it appears again.

i do not have access to the Windows Vista Install disc because when I bought the computer it was pre-installed

Then . Now the computer gave me another blue screen and wont start up Windows again. The screen says,

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer (This is what I did).

The last part of the screen says,

File:\Windows\System32\Drivers\zypiozoa.sys
    Info: Windows Failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt

When I put in the Windows Vista Startup Recover Disc, I get this screen,

StartRep.exe- Application Error

The exception Breakpoint
    A breakpoint has been reached. (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x7393764a.

I even tried System Restore for different points and it did not work.

i also tried starting in safe mode and it wont even go there.

Help!

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, Windows won't even boot into Safe Mode. It seems that the virus has corrupted the operating system. As no installation DVD, I don't think we can do any further at this point. You can check if your BIOS can be accessed in case it is infected too.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:38 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing exactly the same issues as allswl

HELP Please !!!

Dipping
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

If there is any antivirus installed, I suggest we perform the following steps to protect the system:

Step 1: Update the definition file for the antivirus program.

If you do not have an antivirus program installed, I would suggest install Microsoft Security Essentials to protect the system from being infected with virus.

Step 2: Disable and Enable System Restore to clear the virus permanently.

Many viruses infect restore points. In order to clear the infected files permanently, we should clear the restore points. Please use the steps below to do so:

1. Click "Start, input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".

2. On the "System Protection" tab, click to turn off System Restore on all drives, and click "OK".

3. Please repeat the above steps to enable System Restore again.

Step 3:Boot your computer into Safe Mode and then run your antivirus software on your computer to scan for and remove any possible Virus and Malware infections.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose "Safe Mode", and press "Enter".

4. Run the computer in Safe Mode.

5. Start your antivirus program and scan the system in Safe Mode.

Step 4: Scan for virus in Safe Mode with Networking

Note: If you are using a cable modem or home LAN connection, please start from item 1 below. If not, please skip items 1~3 and go to item 4 directly.

1. Restart the computer.

2. After "POST" (the Power On Self Test usually has a text mode screen at the beginning when a system boots up), keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter.

4. Please open Internet Explorer and visit http://safety.live.com

5. Please click the "Full Service Scan" button and follow the instructions on screen to scan for viruses on the computer.

Please check if you can remove the Trojan now.

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:15 AM
  • i would like to try all those suggestions but as I said in the post. Windows does not boot at all. it does not work in safe mode, system restore, nor from the startup repair disc.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, Windows won't even boot into Safe Mode. It seems that the virus has corrupted the operating system. As no installation DVD, I don't think we can do any further at this point. You can check if your BIOS can be accessed in case it is infected too.

Regards,

Friday, January 21, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Any update?
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:54 AM
  • M.Liu;..THANKS.. the step 2 above (plus the rest of article ) SEEMS to have resolved my CHRONIC 'windows failed to start'

nightmare....acer-vista home basic,SP2,current updates...

...1 year+ problem...wiped to alt-f10 on my acer, twice[to original program installation]

pc is slo...but may be fact i'm on a hot-spot ??...however, even the internal programs are usually

slow to respond.....and IE 8..NOW  IE9..even after the apparent resolution to the fail-to-start

scenario,the IE(not responding) notice appears ~30% of time.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:22 AM