none
favorites emptied out RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows 10 on all my systems. Some time between last night and this morning, non of my favorites folders have links in them. Sure enough, if I check the favorites folder on my filesystem, all the folders are there but are empty. The favorites on the edge browser continue to work. The issue is seen across multiple PCs. All of them are showing empty favorites.
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Start>Settings>Update & Security..... check when the last Windows Update was applied... You may have to restart your computer for the changes to take affect and to complete any outstanding Windows Updates.

You can check that IE is correctly mapping to your IE Favorites folder by typing

shell:favorites

in the IE Address bar...

for standalone PC's NOT on a dommain network this should be c:\Users\{username}\Favorites

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:49 PM
  • if I check the favorites folder on my filesystem, all the folders are there but are empty.

Sounds like you spotted this early enough that you could use File History to restore them.  In my case I put that off so long that the File History would (uselessly) only restore empty versions of the Favorites directory.  I have speculated that this may be happening as an opportunity to make us aware of the potential available via File History; otherwise I too would like to know why it happens--and where the diagnostics for it are.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Start>Settings>Update & Security..... check when the last Windows Update was applied... You may have to restart your computer for the changes to take affect and to complete any outstanding Windows Updates.

You can check that IE is correctly mapping to your IE Favorites folder by typing

shell:favorites

in the IE Address bar...

for standalone PC's NOT on a dommain network this should be c:\Users\{username}\Favorites

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:49 PM
  • if I check the favorites folder on my filesystem, all the folders are there but are empty.

Sounds like you spotted this early enough that you could use File History to restore them.  In my case I put that off so long that the File History would (uselessly) only restore empty versions of the Favorites directory.  I have speculated that this may be happening as an opportunity to make us aware of the potential available via File History; otherwise I too would like to know why it happens--and where the diagnostics for it are.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Shishir,

Have you try the suggestions above?

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Carl fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:30 AM