none
Active Directory Attributes: "Section" and "Area"

Question

• I am trying to identify which program has modified the AD Schema to add the "Section" and "Area" attributes into our AD environment.

Windows 2012 R2 DC's (originally 2003 > 2008 > 2008R2)
    Sharepoint, Configmgr, Exchange, SfB all within the domain

I thought it was probably an Exchange attribute,  but browsing through the MS documentation for Exchange schema changes doesn't get me anywhere.  SfB and Configmgr are unlikely to be the cause. I couldnt any worthwhile reference for what attributes Sharepoint introduces.

The reason I'd like to figure this out is that I have built a test domain and I am trying to simulate Powershell user update scripts to populate AD attributes. I want the test environment to be as close to our live systems as possible so I am entirely sure they are working correctly before release to live.

So... "Section" and "Area" attributes, any ideas?

Thank you

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• > I am trying to identify which program has modified the AD Schema to add the "Section" and "Area" attributes into our AD environment.

You might verify the attribute OIDs - if they match to any known vendor, you're in business :)

• Marked as answer by sm1980 Monday, April 10, 2017 3:09 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No comments against attributes in schema MMC... alarm bells starting to ring.

OID not found on any lookups...

I finally checked with someone who's been here a couple of decades and "Area" and "Section" are custom attributes that we've set up in the past and nobody had bothered to document.

Thank you again for your time.

Best Regards,

Stephen

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:09 PM