none
Report or display work by resource and task RRS feed

• Question

• I am a relatively new user of project and want to do something that seems to me quite unsophisticated:

Produce a GANTT-type chart showing, by resource, the amount of time (and associated timeplanning) for each member of my team over the forthcoming x months. I have the work column displayed, but when I filter by resource (ie. team member) I get the total work for that task, not the amount required from that individual.

Alternatively, the resource usage view gives most of what I want (except the timeline), except that I can't filter by resource, or, apparently, put page breaks between each resource's information in order to print out.

Basically I just one to give everyone a print-out of anticipated workloads / schedules over the coming months.

Is there an easy non-technical solution to this i've missed? I'm not an IT person, so solutions requiring programming would be beyond me.

Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Flossie,

The Resource Usage view can be filtered by Resource, so I'm not sure why that is not working for you.  Apply the Resource Usage view, the use the autofilter on the Resource Name field to filter showing specific resources.

You can also insert page breaks, the command doesn't show up by default on the Ribbon, but you can certainly add it to the ribbon.  See:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/customize-the-ribbon-HA010355697.aspx?CTT=3

for information on customizing the ribbon.

I hope this helps.  Post back with any questions.

Julie

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:10 PM

All replies

• Flossie --

Assuming you are using Microsoft Project 2010, first apply the Gantt Chart view.  Next, click the View tab to display the View ribbon.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Group By pick list button and then select the Resource group.  I believe this will meet all of your reporting criteria.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Hello Flossie,

The Resource Usage view can be filtered by Resource, so I'm not sure why that is not working for you.  Apply the Resource Usage view, the use the autofilter on the Resource Name field to filter showing specific resources.

You can also insert page breaks, the command doesn't show up by default on the Ribbon, but you can certainly add it to the ribbon.  See:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/customize-the-ribbon-HA010355697.aspx?CTT=3

for information on customizing the ribbon.

I hope this helps.  Post back with any questions.

Julie

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Many thanks for your quick reply. I tried your solution, but I had two problems with it. (i) It didn't group by individuals only, but also by groups of individuals (eg if AB and CD work on a project, that's a group, and CD is another group) - I'm trying to get the info by individual; (ii) the work totasl were for the task, not for the individuals. Obviously I'm missing something still...
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Thank you very much - I wouldn't have found the page breaks solution. This gets me almost to where I want to be - for some reason filter by resource name doesn't appear as an option, but at least by grouping and adding in page breaks I can print-out what each individual needs to know.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:04 PM
  • You're welcome, Flossie.  In the Resource Usage view, there are not any built-in filters for resources.  However you can use the auto-filter to filter for specific resources.  Go to View, Filter, Display Autofilter to turn on Autofilters.  Then click the drop-down to the right of the Resource Name field as uncheck all and then check off the resources you need.

As an added comment, have you looked at the "To-Do List" report in Project tab > Reports > Assignments?  It may give you what you are looking for and has a built-in resource filter.

Julie

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:26 PM