none
project server 2010: adding Project Details webpart to a different site than pwa RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to use the Project Details webpart on a different site than pwa. I followed the document in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314583.aspx to do it. However, after I finish, here is the error message that appears in the webpart:

Could not connect to Project Server. This could be because there is no Project Server specified for this site. Contact your server administrator to set a default Project Server URL for the "Project Details" web part. If you have manually changed the Project Server URL for this web part, please remove the web part and add it to the page again from the web part catalog.

How can I fix this error? I haven't changed the Project Server URL manually. I am getting this error as soon I add the webpart to the page.

Thanks,
    George 

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:04 AM

Answers

• As you know, that web part is meant to drill down the specific project. So when you add it into different place, you need to specify the PWA URL as well as the project plan.

After adding the web part, click on stop editing. Later, On the right side top corner of the web part, click on the drop down, edit the web part, select the project plan, click ok.

The above action will help you to resolve the issue.

If that is already done, then it means that both the web applications are in different Application proxy group.

Try this: consider your PWA is http://servername:8080/pwa

Create a site collection at the same web application, add the web part, check the status. Create new web application in the same proxy group, create new site collection, add the web part, check the status.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:38 AM

All replies

• PDP only work in the context of PWA. What are you trying to achieve exactly please?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

We have a project website that is independent of EPM and that is customized based on a certain company's requirements. This project website is not on PWA and is on another site collection. Now we need to use EPM for project scheduling and we need to integrate this project website with EPM. We need to be able to display the project plan in the project website so I am trying to import the Project Details (Project Drill Down) webpart to the project website we have. I know EPM has PWA for this purpose but PWA doesn't provide all of what we need and thats why we have our own project website. The site I mentioned in my previous post states clearly that it is possible to do that: "A site that is not in the Project Web App site collection does not have the Project Web App Web Parts available for use. They must be imported to the Web Part Gallery of the site collection to make them available to load to sites in the site collection" and explains how to do it. I am just having some problems implementing it.

I have also managed to fix the error I was getting in my previous post but now I get another error:
    "The web part cannot be display in this context."

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    George 

Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hi George,

This does work I have used it many times, however check your web part settings for the URL as mentioned to make sure that it is correctly pointing to PWA. Otherwise you mentioned that it is in another site collection, is it contained within the same Web Application / same host header?

In 2007 I previously had major problems using these web parts across different host header'ed sites, that problem AFAIK was never fixed in 2007, but I have not had to revisit it in 2010 so I can't comment further.

I blogged about that one years ago; http://nearbaseline.com.au/blog/2010/03/project-details-web-part-error-when-using-host-headers/ 

Hope that helps,

Martin

Monday, May 30, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks for the help but my error is different than the one in the blog you posted. I am getting this error: "The web part cannot be display in this context".

What may be causing it?

Thanks,
    George 

Friday, June 3, 2011 7:13 AM
  • George,

Just to confirm, this is the Project Details web part that allows you to enter custom field data against a project?  If so, Christophe is spot on, you can't use these outside the PDP infrastructure of PWA.

If you need to see Custom Field info in another site, like the project site, then there is a solution start that will do this for you  'Workspace Project Custom Field Web Part ' (http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter)

If you need to edit the Project Details, then you are in bespoke territory.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

I'm not sure about which web part you are talking about. The project details web part I am talking about is called ProjectDrillDown web part. It is the web part that displays the project as seen in microsoft project. It shows the tasks, summary tasks, resources, etc....

Regards,
    George 

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Hi George,

My Bad, there is a webpart called Project Details that is in fact a renamed Project Fields webpart on the demo image I was using to confirm.

I can repro this on one of my images and will have play over the weekend to see if I can figure it out.

Alex Burton
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Hi George,

I tried to follow the same article you mentioned earlier and i came across with the same issue you mentioned in your first post. I also passed the projuid parameter in the qurey string but same error. I believe there is something missing in the technet article. I also tried to Edit Web Part by selecting this command in the web part context menu but the page crashed.

Regards

Adil

From Microsoft Forums
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

I have just got it to work by:

• exporting the webpart from a PWA instance
    • cracking open the file to change the PSIURL parameter as outlined in the various blog posts
    • Uploading the webpart into my different site collection
    • Making sure the PWA Ribbon Feature was on in the site collection

If I tried to put the web part in a Rich Content (aka SharePoint 2010 wiki edit page) then it showed the 'The Webpart cannot be displayed in this context'

However, if I put the web page on a proper web part page, it rendered ok.

Are you putting it into a rich page or a web part page.

Alex Burton
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Yes I have my web part in a web part page and I'm still getting the "Webpart cannot be displayed in this context". It may be due to the PWA Ribbon Feature. Can you please explain how can I turn this on?

Thanks,
    George 

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:30 AM
  • In the site collection you are trying to drop the webpart into, go to Site Actions > Site Settings. Under Site Collection Settings select 'Site Collection Features'  and activate the feature entitled Project Web App Ribbon. This is required to show the correct ribbon components for the web part.

Alex Burton
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:33 AM
  • I just checked it. The PWA Ribbon Feature is activated!

So now the PWA Ribbon is activated, I have the webpart in a web part page in the site collection but I still get the "Webpart cannot be displayed in this context". Any other suggestions as to what may be causing this error?

Thanks,
    George 

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:39 AM
  • As you know, that web part is meant to drill down the specific project. So when you add it into different place, you need to specify the PWA URL as well as the project plan.

After adding the web part, click on stop editing. Later, On the right side top corner of the web part, click on the drop down, edit the web part, select the project plan, click ok.

The above action will help you to resolve the issue.

If that is already done, then it means that both the web applications are in different Application proxy group.

Try this: consider your PWA is http://servername:8080/pwa

Create a site collection at the same web application, add the web part, check the status. Create new web application in the same proxy group, create new site collection, add the web part, check the status.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:38 AM
  • I am trying to accomplish the same and the suggestion by Sriram doesn't work.

The core issue is that when the web part is added to the page, the following error is displayed:

Could not connect to Project Server. This could be because there is no Project Server specified for this site. Contact your server administrator to set a default Project Server URL for the "Project Details" web part. If you have manually changed the Project Server URL for this web part, please remove the web part and add it to the page again from the web part catalog.

Then, if you go to edit the web part, the following error is displayed:

An unexpected error has occurred.

In tracing this error down, it seems that it occurs in the EnsurePJContextInitalizedForWebPart method of PWAPart (in Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA) and the actual underlying error is a NullReferenceException.  I traced this as I tried manually adding the web part to the page as well as programmatically.

I thought perhaps that it was the PSI URL as well, however, I have set mine programmatically like so:

using (SPLimitedWebPartManager manager = ganttPageFile.GetLimitedWebPartManager(PersonalizationScope.Shared))
    {
        ProjectDrillDownPart part = new ProjectDrillDownPart
        {
            SuppressWebPartChrome = false, 
            ChromeType = PartChromeType.None,
            ID = "g_d370ac2e_0b06_4018_b993_79b7c64898b2",                    
            ZoneID = "FullPage",
            Title = string.Format("{0} Gantt", context.Study.Title),
            StoredProjectUid = _projectId,
            PsiUrl = projectServerUrl
        };

manager.AddWebPart(part, "FullPage", 0); 
        manager.SaveChanges(part);
    }

I am not sure what is throwing the NullReferenceException in the PWAPart class.

So all of this would not be a big issue but that the MSDN documentation explicitly states that it is possible to use the PWA web parts in non PWA sites:

Updates/responses/ideas from MSFT would be greatly appreciated!

zaanglabs.com | charliedigital.com | linkedin.com/in/charlescchen

Monday, August 6, 2012 9:01 PM
  • sriram i too got the same need.

I got imported project center web part from the PWA site to other site collection with in the same form where porject server 2010 installed.And passed the URL of my PWA site now i able to see the project details.

But how to view the task listed under particular projects get viewed after clicking particular project title from the imported project center web part.right now it is displaying me error if i click any of my project title.

Thanks & Regards, Krishna

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:50 AM