none
Interaction between HealthVault, Bing apps and Fitbit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there!

I've used HealthVault for a while now and I want to make it the core of all my health and fitness data.

To provide context, I also have a Fitbit, a Windows 8.1 machine and a Windows Phone 8.1 device.

What I want to know is if there's a way that I can log my meals and exercises in the Bing Health & Fitness app (which syncs with HV) and then have it appear on my Fitbit (which also connects with HV) to have all my data in sync.

So far, I've been forced to use MyFitnessPal to log my meals so they are taking into account with my Fitbit activity and I record my runs with the Bing app so it's all disconnected at the moment. Seems that Fitbit only syncs once each day, not all the information goes trough and it's pretty much a one way street.

It seems to me there must be a better way of achieving what I'm describing.

I'd appreciate every bit of help anyone can provide.

-SERGIO

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Sergio,

As far as I'm aware, FitBit sends data to HealthVault but doesn't upload data from HealthVault into FitBit.

It's possible that FitBit won't let anybody upload nutrition data to them, because I was going to recommend a nifty little service called FitnessSyncer.com, but they can't upload nutrition to FitBit either.

You might try contacting FitBit to ask if there's any way to achieve what you want.

You might also let MyFitnessPal know you'd like them to sync with HealthVault; then all your data would be in one place!

Great to hear that you're a longtime HealthVault user. We hope to improve our food & exercise experiences over time. We definitely agree that having everything synced in one place makes every app more powerful.

Good luck,

Kathy

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Hello Kathy!

Thank you so much for the quick response.

I contacted both Fitbit and MyFitnessPal, as per your suggestion, about improving/adding HealthVault support respectively. I'm awaiting response from them.

Still, I hope in the near future there's a better way to have all that data in sync because it's not really all that useful distributed like that.

I'd like to hear your recommendation as to if it would be better at the moment just to log my meals in the Bing H&F app and ignore that part of the Fitbit data for now or if it would be better to keep using Fitbit and MFP to log them knowing that my meal info would make their way to HV but in a limited fashion, and would not appear in the Bing app. While we're at it, do you know if the food database used by the Bing app is extensive enough to make due?

I don't know if I'm burdening you with my questions but I'm kind of lost here and you gave me a straight answer which is more than any I had gotten before.

Have a great day!

-SERGIO

Friday, July 4, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi, Sergio,

I wish I had a good recommendation for you. Probably your best bet is to try each system for a day or two and figure out what works best for you.

Bing Health & Fitness uses the FatSecret food database. My understanding is that it is excellent, but I don't know how it compares to MyFitnessPal. You may be able to find a nutrition forum somewhere that has user reviews of each?

If you do end up using Bing H&F and FitBit, you should find that all your data syncs to HealthVault, where you can do some analysis on it.

(If there's anyone else on this forum with a good recommendation for Sergio, please share!)

-Kathy-

Monday, July 7, 2014 6:28 PM
  • Hello one more time Kathy

Thank you once again. Just wanted to check in and let you know that I received replies for both Fitbit and MyFitnessPal.

Fitbit gave me a pretty generic answer in which they said they would pass the issue to the development tip for future consideration. Pretty nonspecific.

on the other hand MyFitnessPal gave me a better answer in which they stated that they will be incorporating many services in the very near future and would be happy to consider HealthVault. They also wondered if I had considered contacting HV to see if HV wanted to integrate with them.I don't know exactly how to get everyone in touch so ...

just wanted to let you know in case there is something to be done there.

Just letting you know.

Have a great day.

-SERGIO

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Thanks, Sergio! We will reach out again to MyFitnessPal asap and see if we can get it done. We know many of our users love how easy it is to track their food in MyFitnessPal and would absolutely love to have them connected. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Kathy

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:59 PM