none
Error 0xc000000e RRS feed

• Question

• I decided today to enable BitLocker on my bootdrive (samsung 970 evo), after some initial setup I got a prompt to do a reboot now or later. After this attempted reboot I got presented by a screen that says the following:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer

Press Enter to try again

Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment

Press F8 for startup settings

Press Esc for UEFI firmware settings

Pressing enter makes it try again and fail, pressing F1 makes it reboot, retry and fail, pressing F8 appears to does nothing besides refresh the screen and pressing esc reboots into bios. I have tried to repair from an installation USB by going to repair -> troubleshoot -> command prompt, this asks for my recovery key which it then tells me doesn't work. I do have a backup of this drive, but it is a couple of weeks old so I'd rather not have to use that. Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:09 AM

All replies

• Find my BitLocker recovery key

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:25 AM
  • I tried to use the key listed on that page but it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key." when i try.

Edit: Pressing skip this drive and using the manage-bde -status command returns the following:

Volume D: [Label Unknown]

[Data Volume]

Size: Unknown GB

Bitlocker version: 2.0

Conversion status: Unknown

Percentage encrypted: Unknown%

Encryption method: XTS-AES 128

Protection status: unknown

Lock status: locked

identification field: unknown

automatic unlock: disabled

key protectors:

password

numerical password

• Edited by Joey van O Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:40 AM Added some more info about encryption status
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:34 AM
  • Hi Joey,

Which method you are using to store your recovery key? You can insert your disk to another normal computer, try to boot from this disk with your recovery key, to test if this key is working fine.

If you can’t boot with the recovery key, then it is possible that your recovery key is no longer valid, please use your backup of this drive to try a restore.

If you can boot on other machine using the recovery key, we researched this issue and found many similar issues were caused by BCD is invalid or File system integrity compromised, ect. You can try to restore the changes and check if the issue is fixed.

1. Perform command: manage-bde -unlock E: -RecoveryPassword xxxxxx, “E:” is your drive letter, and the “xxxxxx” is the value of your recovery key.
    2. Unplug all the external devices and try booting to check result.
    3. Rebuild the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool.
    4. Try performing a startup repair and check with below steps:

Boot from Windows install disc.

Click Next in the setup page after selecting proper language, time and keyboard input.

Click Repair your computer and select Troubleshoot.

Click on Advanced options.

Select Automatic Repair and select your operation system.

1. If you have a recovery USB drive(Create a recovery drive manually or you can also contact manufacturer to get your recovery USB drive), you can also try below steps:

Insert the recovery drive, restart the computer.

Tap F12 boot options(other PCs F2 or F10), select the USB drive.

Select proper language and keyboard input, and select Troubleshoot.

Click on Advanced option.

Click on Startup Repair option.

Turn off and turn on the computer.

Tap F12 at boot, select your Windows Boot Manager.

You can also check videos using below links for more details: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dDOqQOn37A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbplFUwl3S4

Note: these are 3rd party links, we don't have any warranties on these websites. It's just for your convenience. If any other questions, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Hi Joey,

What is your current situation? Have you tried the suggestions provided above? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi Joey,

What is your current situation? Have you tried the suggestions provided above? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

Friday, November 30, 2018 10:24 AM