List of Figures link from PDF to Word instead of "in document" search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having problems with the 'table of figures' in Word 2010 and 2013.

Normally when I create a list of figures, the link to a figure will be activated by pressing Ctrl+Click.

Normally the text box with this link says: 'Current document Ctrl+Click to follow link'.

Though it displays now: 'file///:F:/........word_document.docx Ctrl+Click to follow link'.

This means that when I have printed the word document as PDF document and I click on the link, I will be linked towards the word document.

This is obviously not what I want, I want that the link will direct me towards the figure/caption within the PDF document itself.

This problem is only occuring with the table of figures, the table of contents and the table of tables are working fine.

How can I change this?

Mark Z

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:21 PM

Answers

• Just to be sure I understand:

• The Word document works fine, the way you expect?
    • The problem is occurring in pdf conversions of Word documents?
    • The tables involved were all generated automatically by Word using Insert > TOC variations?
    • The hyperlinks in the tables other than the table of figures work fine in the pdf, but not the ones in the table of figures?

All of these types of tables are variations of the Table of Contents field. Within your Word document, if you press Alt+F9 you will see the field structure rather than the resulting tables. Examine those fields within Word. Remember to toggle the display back to showing the tables when you finish.

Complex Documents

How are you generating the pdf files? File > Save As? Using Adobe Acrobat or some other program? Conversion processes differ and none is perfect.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:38 PM

All replies

• Just to be sure I understand:

• The Word document works fine, the way you expect?
    • The problem is occurring in pdf conversions of Word documents?
    • The tables involved were all generated automatically by Word using Insert > TOC variations?
    • The hyperlinks in the tables other than the table of figures work fine in the pdf, but not the ones in the table of figures?

All of these types of tables are variations of the Table of Contents field. Within your Word document, if you press Alt+F9 you will see the field structure rather than the resulting tables. Examine those fields within Word. Remember to toggle the display back to showing the tables when you finish.

Complex Documents

How are you generating the pdf files? File > Save As? Using Adobe Acrobat or some other program? Conversion processes differ and none is perfect.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:38 PM
  • This actually a bug in word. I just discovered this through some investigation.

When you have a figure, table, picture, etc. in your document it can be in line with the text or anchored to something. When you make a caption for something that is in line with text, you are good to go! Any reference to that labeled caption in a list will be Current Document. However, if the thing you caption is anchored instead, the caption will be placed in a Text Box, which instead, has association with the .docx file which you are in. So when you export to PDF, this reference will not work as you hope.

Until anyone decides to fix this nonsense,  you are better off simply uncheckboxing the 'use hyperlink instead of page numbers' option. Thankfully, the page numbers are at least still clickable, and strangely enough, the focus is actually placed ON the associated caption anyways... smh

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by thisIsTheFoxe Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:16 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 10:07 PM
  • This actually a bug in word. I just discovered this through some investigation.

When you have a figure, table, picture, etc. in your document it can be in line with the text or anchored to something. When you make a caption for something that is in line with text, you are good to go! Any reference to that labeled caption in a list will be Current Document. However, if the thing you caption is anchored instead, the caption will be placed in a Text Box, which instead, has association with the .docx file which you are in. So when you export to PDF, this reference will not work as you hope.

Until anyone decides to fix this nonsense,  you are better off simply uncheckboxing the 'use hyperlink instead of page numbers' option. Thankfully, the page numbers are at least still clickable, and strangely enough, the focus is actually placed ON the associated caption anyways... smh

I can't reproduce this when saving to PDF in Word 2013. How are you converting the file? Using the Save As dialog box in Word? Some other method?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, May 9, 2016 10:44 PM
  • This bug has been around for years. When you create a table of contents, it usually points to pages within the document. But if you create a list of figures or list of tables, it always points to your OneDrive or to some local folder.

This happens using the official method of exporting to PDF from Word.

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:33 PM
  • This bug has been around for years. When you create a table of contents, it usually points to pages within the document. But if you create a list of figures or list of tables, it always points to your OneDrive or to some local folder.

I don't see a problem with hyperlinked table of figures entries after saving as PDF (via File | Save As in Word). Hyperlinks continue to point to the relevant locations in the document, as I would expect.

Are you using some third-party add-in for the conversion?

Could you elaborate on what goes wrong with the links in your case? For example, what error message, if any, is displayed as the hyperlink fails?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:59 AM

I don't see a problem with hyperlinked table of figures entries after saving as PDF (via File | Save As in Word). Hyperlinks continue to point to the relevant locations in the document, as I would expect.

Are you using some third-party add-in for the conversion?

Could you elaborate on what goes wrong with the links in your case? For example, what error message, if any, is displayed as the hyperlink fails?

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. The issue reproduces with the "Saving as PDF", the official way of exporting to PDF from Word.

I honestly fix this by copying the whole List of Figures and pasting as text, which will remove the links but at least keep the content and page numbers. However, as the years go by and the issue does not seem to be fixed, I thought that it might be relevant to come here and report it as well. I remember that I found this issue for the first time in 2013, and I'm hitting it every now and then, when I use a List of Figures.

Perhaps this is when you check the compatibility box or some special option, I'm not sure. Also, I tend to insert figures with caption inside a Text Box, just so that they can float to the top or bottom, accordingly. Lastly, I always save my documents on my personal OneDrive (not Sharepoint or similar).

If you do not manage to get the issue under these circumstances, please, let me know and I can try to reproduce it on an isolated document.

Sergio.

• Edited by Sergio Rivas Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:28 PM Added clarification of OneDrive.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for the follow-up. The problem you are describing seems to occur when the original Word document is in *.doc format AND the caption is inside a text box. After conversion, the PDF tries to access the original Word document, when you click a hyperlinked entry in the table of figures.

At a guess, the underlying cause is that older versions of Word had poor support for generating tables of figures for captions inside text boxes.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:20 PM
  • Hi Mark.

I´ve also run into the same problem using Word from Office 365 ProPlus installed on windows 10 now, in June 2018.

And judging by the amount of PDFs out there with this problem, I'd say it is a very old bug that's been hiding in Word because nobody tests the case where users don't keep their images "in line with text". I don't understand how this is possible, since I almost never use "in line" and I would suppose most users don't like it either, but then I could be totally wrong. Anyway...

Manual workaround for the problem:

1. Right-click on each of the lines of your table of figures and choose "toggle field codes".

2. delete the entire filepath beginning in "file:      until the other corresponding " plus one space.

3. that's it.

Now when you hover over it, the destination is no longer a file but the document itself. And when you export to PDF, it works.

If anyone has a better way, let me know!

Cheers,

Vasco

Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Have you seen any improvement if you save the original Word document in *.docx format before the conversion to PDF? See my reply from February 2018.

Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:25 PM
  • There is no difference if the document is .docx.
    I'm seeing the same problem with a new document created as docx (latest Office 2016 Build 1805 9330.2124)

I can email you an example Word file with the issue if that would help.

Basically table of contents works fine, the page references work as expected when exported to PDF.

Table of Figures however, rather than create a link to location on the page (or the page itself), it creates a link to the element using the document local file path or if using OneDrive the onedrive.com based path + the object reference).

I'm sure I remember something to do with a document BASE URL parameter, but can't for the life of me remember where that is specified (or whether you can still access it in the latest version).

This is the path shown in Word

This is the path that is created within the PDF document

• Edited by Shinerweb Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:00 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 12:51 AM
  • In Word, do the following to access the "Hyperlink base" option: Click File | Info. Click the "Show all properties" link on the right to see the "Hyperlink base" field.

Saturday, June 23, 2018 6:48 PM
  • An alternative is to re-format the shapes as inline and place both them and their captions inside a floating table. Doing something similar for inlineshapes and their captions with ordinary tables helps keep those together, too. For a macro to do most of this work for you, see: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/19707-macro-add-captions-pictures-inside-word-document.html#post58886. See also the discussion later in the thread for switching the captions between above and below.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Excellent suggestion, it worked great, thanks Vasco!
    Friday, November 2, 2018 1:41 PM

FCK!! Took me a day to find this.. Thank you sooo much!!!!

My Workaround:

- add Figure / Table / whatever as "Inline"

- Create Caption

- Create Table of Figures or update current ToF

- set Object from inline to Square or whatever you want...

now it works for me even after i update the Table again......

Again thank you soo much for explaining! ^^

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Thank you so much, Vasco!!! Your solution was a lifesaver after hours of frustated trouble shooting and searching the internet! It is now june 2019, so very ridiculous that this bug has been around for all these years....

Thank you! Anne.

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:34 PM
  • It really resolves this problem with some links in Table of Figures.

{ HYPERLINK \l "_Toc44426035" }

Thank you.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:28 AM
  • It is still working.

{ HYPERLINK \l "_Toc44426035" }

Thank you

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:29 AM