none
Backup of data in Microsoft Authenticator App RRS feed

• Question

• I had a software issue with my Android phone and I had to reset this. I have not only lost my data from the Google Authenticator. I have lost my data from the Microsoft Authenticator too, because I don’t have any access on my backup. It's because of my Google account, where I don't have any access at the moment and for using of your Android phone you have to use a Google account. The reason is I’ve lost important data to my Google account of the Authenticator. I thought the data would be still available on my old Android phone, where I copied the data from my old phone to my new one. But this is not the main thing. The main thing is I want to be better protected for the future. Luckily, I have Single sign-on for my Outlook account activated on my computer. But as I wanted to set up Microsoft Office for Android with another Google account again, I got the question after the password how I want to receive the code. This step to do with the Microsoft Authenticator or about an alternate email address, which is still the Google address, where I have no access. Luckily, I still can look at the mails on my tablet and had to choose it.
    My question is, how can I make a backup in Microsoft Authenticator with these accounts, who were typed in.
    Monday, August 28, 2017 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

For security purposes, Microsoft Authenticator App does not support backup your account. Please refer to this FAQ.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/end-user/microsoft-authenticator-app-faq

I restored my device from a backup, and my account codes are missing or not working. What happened?

For security purposes, we don't restore accounts from app backups. After you restore the app, delete your accounts and add them again.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ShuiShengbao Monday, September 4, 2017 7:17 AM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Hi Walter and thank you for your answer.

- Why Microsoft Authenticator App won't save your pre-existing accounts to your Microsoft Account (or on OneDrive) is beyond me - you mention "security purposes" 'though this is pretty inconvenient especially when resetting (or replacing) your phone!

In other words, "security purposes" affect your app reliability and hinder its adoption.

Thanks.

Monday, December 25, 2017 12:57 PM
  • So the backup feature was implemented now for the iOS-Version of the app quite a while ago...

Whats about Android now?

It's about time!

• Edited by JoeWhizer Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:45 PM
  • I am also waiting for the ability to backup and restore the APP on Android.  Any news, Anyone......anyone...….
    Monday, February 25, 2019 3:12 AM
  • I switched from an other Authenticator to the Microsoft Authenticator and I had to deactivate 2FA for all those accounts (15 accounts) and add them manually again.

For two accounts this was a bit tricky, because I had to contact support and they wanted to have a copy of my passport to prove that I am really the inhabitant of the account.
    So setting up 2FA took several weeks fo these two services.

So I also would like to have a backup and restore the authenticator codes of the Android App.
    It would be enough if this is a file that is encrypted with a password and stored on the local phone (so I can copy it to my password manager on the desktop).

Monday, April 8, 2019 10:22 AM