DVD's no longer read after switching to Vista (and then on to 7) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Samsung SH-183L, currently running a Core i5 on an ECS P55H-A. 
    I am currently running Windows 7 Professional legally obtained from MSDNAA.  

After I installed Vista I lost the ability to read and write DVD's.  CD's work just fine in all respects.  
    DVD's work fine for installing OS's, so the BIOS can read it just fine.

I HAVE TRIED THE DELETE UPPER/LOWER FILTER SUGGESTION, it did not work.  I have tried it at least once a month every month for the past 6 months.  PLEASE do not suggest this fix.  

Any and all suggestions (aside from the one above that did not work) will be welcomed by me with open arms.  If you get this fixed for me I will give you an internet cake. 
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hello,

It is caused by the firmware that is not fully compatible with windows 7. I saw several threads with the same problem and the they are resolved by updating the firmware. The latest firmware for this device is only for Windows vista, if your device still cannot work, you have to wait for Samsung release a new firmware update.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:57 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:29 AM

All replies

• Anybody home? 
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hello,

Moft of these prolems happen if the device's firmware that is not fully compatible with windows 7. Try to install the latest firmware:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/optical-disc-drives/dvd-writer/SH-S183L/BSBN/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

If the issue persists, you need to contact Samsung for assistance. You cannot resolve the problem in operation system side.
    Thomas77
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:28 AM

After I installed Vista I lost the ability to read and write DVD's.  CD's work just fine in all respects.  

I HAVE TRIED THE DELETE UPPER/LOWER FILTER SUGGESTION, it did not work.  I have tried it at least once a month every month for the past 6 months.  PLEASE do not suggest this fix.  

Any and all suggestions (aside from the one above that did not work) will be welcomed by me with open arms.  If you get this fixed for me I will give you an internet cake. 
    Can it be the DVD hardware ??   Can you try the DVD in another computer ?? 
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:31 PM

*A* DVD? I have tried burning at least a dozen DVD's and tried 30 different games and movies (since I kept forgetting).  I also changed my motherboard, CPU, and RAM last month.  It's not hardware, it's software.  If it was hardware, the DVD reading wouldn't work in XP (which it does).  
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:56 PM

*A* DVD? I have tried burning at least a dozen DVD's and tried 30 different games and movies (since I kept forgetting).  I also changed my motherboard, CPU, and RAM last month.  It's not hardware, it's software.  If it was hardware, the DVD reading wouldn't work in XP (which it does).  

Let me clarify.  I was asking if you could move the DVD reader/burner itself to another computer, not the DVDs.  That will at least let you know that the hardware is still working correctly.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:21 PM
  • I answered your question.

I have gone through a motherboard, CPU, and RAM change, I have gone from XP to a new installation of Vista and then upgraded to 7.  XP is still on one of my hard drives and if I boot in to that the problem goes away.  
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:14 AM
  • I answered your question.

I have gone through a motherboard, CPU, and RAM change, I have gone from XP to a new installation of Vista and then upgraded to 7.  XP is still on one of my hard drives and if I boot in to that the problem goes away.  

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out your problem.  You never said that you had XP installed on that computer and that the DVD drive worked with it.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Hello,

It is caused by the firmware that is not fully compatible with windows 7. I saw several threads with the same problem and the they are resolved by updating the firmware. The latest firmware for this device is only for Windows vista, if your device still cannot work, you have to wait for Samsung release a new firmware update.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:57 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:29 AM