dwm causing my machine to run really slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have  fresh install of of Vista32 and it's running really slow. Windows will hang for a second or so when I try to move them, text when typing takes a bit to get started, etc. It's due to the desktop window manager; as soon as I turn it off it runs significantly quicker. In the process window dwm is using over 73,000K of memory and will use over 50% of the cpu at times. I also get a popup from Vista telling me that I've got too much stuff running (even though I only have one or two programs running) that's causing my system to slow down and then asks me if I'd like to turn off dwm.

I've tried the drivers that Vista natively installed and I've also tried the drivers from nVidia as well with no difference. I had the same problem on my first install of Vista, but due this this issue (and also that I was bsod'ing every 30 mins) I decided to try a new install. Same problem. I haven't added any new software to this install other than Office2007 (though the problem preceeded the install). I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Athlon64 X2 3800+ cpu

DFI Lanparty DR SLI mobo

2gb DDR400 memory

6800GT graphics

WD 1200JB hdd

Monday, July 3, 2006 1:54 PM

All replies

• I experience the same problems as the original author.  Extremely sluggish performance when Desktop Composition (Aero theme) is enabled.  After a short while of running with Aero enabled, I'll get a popoup message saying that I need to disable Desktop Composition.  My system well exceeds the requirements to run Aero, and I've tried all the latest drivers for my motherboard and video card.

Specs: Vista build 5384

p4 3.2ghz HT

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE mobo w/ Intel 925XE chipset

2gb ddr2

Leadtek geforce 6800 GT 256mb gfx card

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

edit: added motherboard specs

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:36 PM
  • One of the problems with DWM is that the video drivers are very immature for this display model. If your cpu is hitting 50% or more and you have a good video card, it simply means that your cpu is doing all the grunt work and your video card isn't being fully utilized. Expect performance to increase dramatically when the video drivers get better.
    Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:30 PM
  • Thank you for the reply, Lyme. Hopefully Nvidia will release new Vista drivers soon!

I'm curious if are there people out there with the 6800 GT 256mb gfx card that are NOT experiencing huge display slowdowns with various Vista builds.  If so, what drivers have worked well for you?
    Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:34 PM