none
Collaboration in project online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody:

I am a Spanish naval engineer and I am the responsible for planning the new buildings in a shipyard.

This month, has been installed ms project online in my company and I would like to know if it is possible manage the team members (mainly reporting the % progress for the task and manage the access priviliges for consulting de schedule) without project server or share point.

If it was impossible to do that, could you tell me how to do with sharepoint online?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

Francisco Otero

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:01 AM

All replies

• Francisco --

If you company started using Project Online, what you are actually using in the cloud-based Microsoft Project Server 2013, hosted by Microsoft.  This means that your team members can report that % Complete progress on task assignments using the Project Web App part of Project Online, where they can enter their progress on the Tasks page.  You will need to make sure that all of your team members are added to the Enterprise Resource Pool in Project Online, and you will need to save and publish all of your projects in Project Online as well.  After doing this, your team members will see the tasks assigned to them in your projects in the Tasks page in Project Web App, where they can submit their progress to you on their task assignments.  From there, you can approve their task progress in the Approval Center page in PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, May 12, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Señor Otero,

The straight answer for your case is:

• If you want to manage resources' usage, allocation and task completion you must use Project Server, which is based on SharePoint

I don't know if there's any resistance (mainly when are talking about engineers who always behave stubborn on changing their processes...ahhaha) but think kindly. This tool is very powerful, and if you have on-premises servers, in a short term your team can build their own reports using SQL Server Integration Services by synchronising data from cloud.

Cheers!

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:49 PM