4GB Ram stops PCMCIA network card working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

After upgrading my Vista Ultimate system from 1GB (2x512MB) to 4GB (2x2GB) my PCMCIA Network card is no longer working.

I receive a Code 10 - Service could not be initiated.  The card is a Marvell Libertas PCMCIA wirless adapter.

Again, the card works fine with 1GB or 2GB of RAM installed but once i place anything more into the laptop the wireless card becomes unresponsive.

Is anyone aware of this problem?  The hardware scan says everything is supported and the pcmcia card has a microsoft supported driver.

Thanks and regards,

Lee

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

Thanks for your kind words. And how things going with the latest driver?

As far as I know, this issue is just related to the specific chipset. However, my personal advice, have a try before you buy the new adapter.

Thanks.

Sincerely, 

Yog Li 

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

Error “Code 10” sometimes comes from the resource conflict. And it is a widely occurring issue that Marvell Libertas PCMCIA wireless adapter doesn't work with 4G memory.

Are you using the latest version of driver software for the adapter? You can consult the device manufacturer or your retailer for the information. Hope the updated driver will resolve this issue.

You can also find the driver from the website below.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

Important Note: This is a third party World Wide Web site, which is just for your reference. Microsoft does not control this site and has not tested any software or information found on it; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

To manually install the driver, follow these steps.

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2. Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3. Right click "Device Name" and click Update Driver Software…

4. Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.

5. Click on the Browse button to locate the folder which includes the driver files.

6. Click Next and follow the wizard to install the driver.

Besides, some PCMCIA Cards cannot work properly because they do not support interrupt request (IRQ) resource sharing. You can try to resolve this behavior by disabling the ISA-to-PCI routing feature to allow these PCMCIA Cards to function in laptop computers:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2. Locate and click to select the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\PCMCIA\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click New, click DWORD Value, type DisableIsaToPciRouting in the NewValue box, and then press ENTER.

4. Click to select DisableIsaToPciRouting, click Edit, and then click Modify.

5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

This procedure disables PCI routing for 16-bit PC Cards. With this feature, you can successfully install 16-bit PC Cards on computers that are low on ISA interrupts by using a shared-PCI interrupt.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely, 

Yog Li 

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Thank you for the response Yog Li,

I've downloaded the drivers and will test these later this afternoon.  

Does this particular problem happen with all wireless cardbus adapters or just this specific chipset?  Im just thinking that if it doesnt work then i could possibly go and buy a different adapter (albeit using a different chipset).

Again thanks for the post Smile

Lee

Friday, November 30, 2007 10:20 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for your kind words. And how things going with the latest driver?

As far as I know, this issue is just related to the specific chipset. However, my personal advice, have a try before you buy the new adapter.

Thanks.

Sincerely, 

Yog Li 

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:58 AM
  • Hi Yog Li, the new drivers didnt change anything unfortunately - I'll look into getting a new card that hopefully doesnt suffer the same problem Smile

Cheers,

Lee
    Monday, December 3, 2007 9:03 AM