word 2010 file on the network has chart linked from excel 2010 not updating automatically RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2010.  I have an Excel file that has table with chart.  I copied the chart object from this Excel file into a word document using Paste Special > Paste Link >Microsoft Excel Object.  Save both files as the new 2010 formats.  Whenever I update the table in Excel the chart would automatically update in Excel however when I open the Word document that has the linked chart from Excel and answer YES to the question - Do you want to automatically update the link? it does NOT update the chart in Word.  I still have to press F9 in order to see the update on the chart.  Both files are in the same network drive.  When I did the exact same thing on a local drive, the Word document with the Excel chart object link DOES AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE when I click YES to the question - Do you want to update the links automatically?  Is this a known "bug" with OFFICE 2010 when working on files on the network drive.   I don't want to have to manually update the link (by pressing F9) everytime I make a change on the source data in Excel.  Please help - any suggestions to fix this problem. 

Thank you in advance,

Lulu

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:33 PM