Setting up WSUS - StartSynchronizationForCategoryOnly not working here RRS feed

• Question

• I have just setup WSUS and am having a problem getting product categories synchronised.

I have the following snippet that fails here:

$WSUSServer = Get-WsusServer
    $WSUSSubscription = $WSUSServer.GetSubscription()
    $WSUSSubscription.StartSynchronizationForCategoryOnly()

I get no error message but when I try to get the synch progress, I just get this:

PS C:\> $WSUSSubscription.GetSynchronizationProgress()

TotalItems ProcessedItems      Phase
    ---------- --------------      -----
          3214              0 Categories

The category synch does not see to be happening here. I can't see anything too obvious in the .log file. 

Clues on where to look for a solution?

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Monday, October 9, 2017 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I suggest you check the Synchronization report of the latest one sync on that WSUS server. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Lee Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:15 AM
  • For reasons I can not explain, StartSynchronizationForCategoryOnly() method did not work on a newly created WSUS Server. I invoked the StartSynchronization() method and all was well. 

Not sure why a newly created <g class="gr_ gr_147 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="147" id="147">wsus</g> server fails on that method. BUt after the full synch, it does seem to work.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you check the Synchronization report of the latest one sync on that WSUS server. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:15 AM
  • For reasons I can not explain, StartSynchronizationForCategoryOnly() method did not work on a newly created WSUS Server. I invoked the StartSynchronization() method and all was well. 

Not sure why a newly created <g class="gr_ gr_147 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="147" id="147">wsus</g> server fails on that method. BUt after the full synch, it does seem to work.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:33 PM