none
Create a VM on a physical machine to use in MDT.

Question

• I'm trying to figure out how I can do this, if it can be done.....

On a physical pc, I would like to use Hyper-V to update an image. Rather than build one from scratch, I hope to:

Deploy a working image from my MDT TS to Hyper-V on a physical pc. Then, give that pc to someone who wants to make
    changes to the image. Once done, copy that image back to MDT so I can capture it for Deployment.

My main question is, how do I boot a VM on a physical pc to MDT so that I can deploy my image to it...so that someone can
    modify it? I can then copy it into MDT as an updated image. I don't want them to be accessing Hyper-V on my server. Can I
    boot a VM from a pc to MDT so it can get an image deployed to it? And if so, how?
    Thanks

Friday, September 07, 2018 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Using a hyper-v virtual machine on a PC is not an issue. Basically it just need to be connected to a network where it can access your MDT server, and the virtual machine must support PXE boot. If the PC only has one network card, the hyper-v virtual switch on the PC must be shared with the parrent OS.

Are the network prerequisites in place, you can treat the virtual machine is the same way as you would with a physical machine. The operating system doesn't care about what platform it is running on. You can capture- and deployment in the same way.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

• Proposed as answer by JiteshKumar Monday, September 10, 2018 6:15 AM
    Sunday, September 09, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Thanks. I guess the other part of my question is the technique I want to use to create a working WIM.

I will be deploying a WIM to my VM. The WIM was created in a Hyper-V VM through MDT. Now I will deploy that image to a physical pc Hyper-V VM, have it modified, then capture that to a new WIM for another Task Sequence deployment. Basically taking one WIM and having it modified to create a different WIM.

I wonder if I will encounter any issues using a WIM to create a new one, this way.

Monday, September 10, 2018 12:32 PM
  • Normally you won't encounter any issue re-capturering an image.

However, I can think of one thing that can cause an error: During the capture task sequence process, a sysprep will be commited. If the copy of windows is not activated and/or the 're-arm' count is less that 1,it will fail. You can check the status by typing 'slmgr /dlv' in command prompt. 

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

Monday, September 10, 2018 4:06 PM
  • I never activate Windows during a capture but I do on the deploy. I will have to make a special Deploy just for this image...one without installing any software, or activating windows. I'm wondering what else I need to disable, because deploying to my VM will install stuff (as a normal deploy would) but then it's going to be a master image, where I want nothing much on it, or it'll get the installs run twice, once in deploying to Hyper-V  and also to pc's later. I may just have to make a new VM from scratch.
    Monday, September 10, 2018 4:11 PM
  • I'm just saying, re-capturering the same image over and over again will eventually exhaust the number of "re-arms". It's just something you have to pay attention to.

I use as well a virtual machine as a master image, also hyperv. That image I keep updated with windows update,  along with a minimum set of software. Everytime the VM is updated, I take a snapshot. That will ensure I always can revert. For example, if I need to install additional software and re-capture. When finished, I revert to be ready for the next custom installation/capture

If you only have used a VM to build your image (wim), there is no issue re-using that for another capture of a VM. The only thing being installed is a hyperv driver or two. They are harmless, and wont affect future deployments.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Monday, September 10, 2018 5:22 PM