none
Migrate DPM database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have DPM 2012 SP1 installed on 1 physical server, and the DPM database is installed on SQL 2012 SP1 enterprise edition on different physical server.

for MS Licensing purposes. I want to migrate DPM database to different server.

how to do this without effecting DPM operations? 

Mashhour Faraj

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to uninstall DPM, reinstall it and select the new SQL server during setup.

1) make a note on the dpm version and update rollup installed.

2) uninstall DPM.

3) reinstall DPM and select new SQL server during setup. Run SQL prep on remote SQL server before the new install.

4) install same update rollup fix as original as per step 1.

5) restore the original dpm database using dpmsync -restoredb followed by dpmsync -sync.

6) run a consistency check on all data sources.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

is it a must to uninstall DPM. before migrating Database.

Mashhour Faraj

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you must follow the steps to move the DPMDB to another sql instance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

for SCDPM I found in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT DATA PROTECTION MANAGER\DB

Inside this DB folder is the configuration of the SQL database.

I want to move the database and try editing the registry entries for the DB and check it.

Mashhour Faraj

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:53 AM