Windows Live Mail 2011 is ridiculous for Newsgroups RRS feed

• General discussion

• Many newsgroups, particularly those that provide pictures, have photos attached. Anyone going to these newsgroups wants to see and download a FULL SIZED PICTURE. Unfortunately, the latest windows Live Mail (2011) shows EVERY picture as a tiny thumbnail. This means that what was once a simple process (highlight the message you want to see, hit Enter, wait for download, save the attached photo) has become ridiculously complex. Following the same procedure - you end up seeing this tiny thumbnail of the photo. Then you have to double click it to see some kind of representation of a larger image. To download this larger image I BELIEVE that you right click the larger picture and save image as. No one would go to a newsgroup and open an email unless they wanted to see the photo.

I understand that the vast majority of grandmothers are upset that they have a long download time to see photos of their grandkids, and further they dont understand that their 14 MBit camera turns out photos too large for their 15" CRT monitor. BUT to change the email program for THEM and to not have a way to turn this off for those computer professionals is pretty silly.

There seems to be no way to uninstall the 2011 fiasco without completely uninstalling Live Mail. So is my only solution to Restore from backup to before this recommended download happened? Is there is registry fix that will allow me to disable this so called Skydrive feature? Maybe better would be a link to a place to download the prior WIndows Live Mail 2009. Help, I have an office full of users that are upset that their email program is now useless for newsgroups.

• Changed type Miya Yao Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:53 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi LegalComputerTech,

Thanks for the post!

For the Live Mail issue, I recommend you ask in Windows Live Solution Center

Regards,

Miya

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other communities who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:04 AM
  • I did not expect an answer, I took care of the problem by downgrading back to Live Mail 2009. This is the solution many will adopt of course. I assumed this was a windows 7 application, but come to think of it I guess its for any windows OS. There is no point in moving it, since I am not looking for a solution but merely explaining why the new live mail was not properly planned. I have made sure that all my users have set to ignore this recommended update, and will hope that someone at MS realizes what a huge mistake was made with the mail client - but the % of users has surely gone down steadily since the loss of Outlook Express.

I note that many times when a message is posted on these forums, MS spends more time in deciding where the post belongs than what the actual post is about. Of course, that is the job of a moderator - but does any other MS staff come into the forums? Just curious. I answered a few that have been hanging around these forums for 6 months or so, so i wonder about the utility of the forums if it is just a collection of problems without solutions.

Richard Bodor Computer Forensics since 1981
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:59 PM