none
Is it possible to expand a .vhd file within DPM and recover individual files? RRS feed

• Question

• We're testing out DPM 2012 in hopes of replacing our current backup environment. Our previous backup solution, Paragon Server Backup, would permit us to expand .vhd files from a backup and recover individual files from inside the .vhd Does DPM offer any such capability. Having to restore our 500 GB SQL Server .vhd file in order to get at one file would be quite time consuming, so I'm hoping I've somehow missed an option somewhere that would permit this in DPM. I have gone through all the GUI menus and see no such capability, and can't find anything hopeful in the documentation, but if someone knows the answer to this question, your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Claude Jones Leesburg, VA

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to protect the VM's themselves by expanding out the hyper-V and selecting to backup the VM's.  Protecting the volume the VM reside on is not the correct method of protection and as you discoveed will not give you the ILR you are wanting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ClaudeJones Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:28 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, DPM 2010 and 2012 both have item level recovery for files inside a protected VM's .vhd files.  Under the recovery tab, expand out the VM, then doubleclick on the .vhd file and DPM will mount the VHD and list the files. You can browse and restore individual files and folders without having to restore the entire VHD.

For DPM 2010, you need to have the hyper-V role installed on the DPM Server.
    For DPM 2012, the above is not required and we can perform ILR even if the DPM server is a VM itself.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hello Mike:

Double clicking the .vhd in the recovery tab was the very first thing I tried - also right-clicking it which displays two options, "Recover" or "Show all Recovery Points". Double-clicking the .vhd produced no response at all. The options offered by right-click were not useful, either. Just to be absolutely clear: I'm backing up an entire drive on my protected server; that drive contains 6 VMs; from the recovery tab, I'm selecting this protected drive, and drilling down through the folders to one that contains a .vhd file for one of the VMs - that's what I'm double-clicking on, and, as I said above, this produces no response at all...

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

You need to protect the VM's themselves by expanding out the hyper-V and selecting to backup the VM's.  Protecting the volume the VM reside on is not the correct method of protection and as you discoveed will not give you the ILR you are wanting.

• Marked as answer by ClaudeJones Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:28 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Mike: Thanks a lot. That did the trick. Just successfully restored a file from within a .vhd

Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Since this comes up as the first hit on Google I am posting an update here........

One thing to keep in mind...........Item level recovery (ILR) is ONLY available IF you have a recovery point on disk. If you have a recovery point on tape (like very old backups in our environment)......double clicking on that vhd will do nothing.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:08 PM
  • You can always restore the vhd(x) to a network share, mount that VHD(x) via Windows Disk Management and copy files around manually. That is what i do in the rare cases that i need a file out of a Linux Hyper-V VM. Mount the VHD and use a third party tool that can read extfs4.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:33 AM