none
Power BI with POL (projects table) - no custom fields... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In Power BI - when I add the POL app and the Project table, there seems to be no custom fields.  Can someone tell me what I'm missing please.

Also, in Power BI is it possible to enter an oData string (e.g. select ...Projects?$select=ProjectId,ProjectName) as I can't seem to find anywhere to enter it.

Many thanks

James  

• Edited by JamesP435 Monday, June 26, 2017 2:43 PM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 2:43 PM

Answers

• By default PowerQuery (Excel or Power BI etc.) will include all columns by default. As Ben said, it sounds like the default data set has been modified so maybe only certain fields where included in the data set. A quick check in the Power Query editor will show this. Have a look at the applied steps / advanced editor for the Projects query to see if columns have been removed.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:51 AM
  • You should review your query, as the names of your fields have been changed from the default, and therefore it is likely your query is also only selecting certain columns - did you write the query or did you "inherit it".  To be very certain I would start afresh with a new query and see if the fields are there...

The highlighted items below are all ECFs...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:39 PM
  • OK, I think I understand what went wrong.

The screenshot I posted was when I tried to access the data via app.powerbi.com using the Project Online App.

In this case, it does not show the ECF.

I have now connected to Project Online using Power BI Desktop via OData and the ECF are showing up now.

Does that make sense?

Monday, July 24, 2017 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Project ECFs there by default - any spaces in names will have been removed. 

I don't put select statements in oData feeds, rather I remove the columns via Power Query - PQ and hence PowerBI/Excel will only bring in the columns you then request.

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Same for me. I don't see the ECF in the tables (Project / Tasks).
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Project ECFs will be in the projects feed, Task ECFs in the task feed....

Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:20 PM
  • ECF on Project Online.

Fields from Project Table on Power BI:

The ECF are not showing up there.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:27 PM
  • You should review your query, as the names of your fields have been changed from the default, and therefore it is likely your query is also only selecting certain columns - did you write the query or did you "inherit it".  To be very certain I would start afresh with a new query and see if the fields are there...

The highlighted items below are all ECFs...

Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:39 PM
  • Hello Ben, are you sure about that:

PQ and hence PowerBI/Excel will only bring in the columns you then request.

As far as I know, it is just an idea, as you can see here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/16532791-odata-feed-should-push-predicates-on-navigation-pr We always select and filter, which brings in test better results....

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Project Blog:

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:08 AM
  • By default PowerQuery (Excel or Power BI etc.) will include all columns by default. As Ben said, it sounds like the default data set has been modified so maybe only certain fields where included in the data set. A quick check in the Power Query editor will show this. Have a look at the applied steps / advanced editor for the Projects query to see if columns have been removed.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:51 AM
  • OK, I think I understand what went wrong.

The screenshot I posted was when I tried to access the data via app.powerbi.com using the Project Online App.

In this case, it does not show the ECF.

I have now connected to Project Online using Power BI Desktop via OData and the ECF are showing up now.

Does that make sense?

Monday, July 24, 2017 11:51 PM
  • It makes sense.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:18 PM