Routing SCOM->SCSM Incidents by dynamic group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I figure someone out there has already answered this question but I have not had any luck locating the answer.

I have SCSM2010 setup to generate incidents whenever SCOM2007 creates alerts. The SCOM2007 connector is setup to forward all alerts to SCSM2010 that are High Priority and Critical Severity.  This ensures that all important alerts are being forwarded unto SCSM2010 while the rest are monitored by Ops Manager Admin.  We have 2 different support staffs based out of the US and the UK.  What I'd like to do is find a way where I can split these incidents within SCSM2010 and use workflows with pertinent templates to forward on to their respective support teams.

Currently I have workflows setup that use "Source=Operations Manager" and forward onto our main infrastructure staff at headquarters who does not want to receive UK incidents.  It would be fantastic if there was a way to utilize the SCOM groups for my UK servers inside the workflow criteria which would make things simple.

Is it possible to create dynamic groups in SCSM2010 that will successfully use the class "Group" or any other class that will find my UK servers using the SCOM CI connector? 

I tried creating an SCSM group using criteria [Active Directory User or Group]FQDN and give it a path to my International servers container in AD and that did not populate any of the server objects.

If someone has a better suggestion for accomplishing this goal, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hey

Use "Windows Computer" as your class to create the group and filter based on one of the following attributes:

- DNSName
    - NetBiosComputerName
    - PrincipalName

That should work. The Class "Windows Server" is not populated by default.

regards
    Marcel

SCSMfaq // Blog --> http://blog.scsmfaq.ch // Twitter --> #scsmfaq // Business --> http://www.itnetx.ch

• Edited by Marcel Zehner Friday, January 6, 2012 8:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by irakis78 Monday, January 9, 2012 8:33 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I created a group for Windows Computer as well. But I used the criteria "Display Name" contains "Cloud":

And it works:

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:10 PM

All replies

• You can create groups in SCSM 2010 based on any known class in SCSM 2010. Based on different criteria you can build your dynamic group membership:

Than you need different incident templates for each location. For instance with pre-defined different support groups for each location.

And the last step: Create your routing rules in the Ops Manager connector:

Friday, January 6, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Thanks Andreas.

I tried using related classes "Windows Server" and criteria DNS Name Contains "UK" which in SCOM this would find all of my UK servers.  However in SCSM it's not pulling back anything.

I also tried using "Windows Server" and criteria NetBios Name Contains "UK" with the same result.

If I go into Configuration Items>Computers>Servers I can see all my UK servers I know they exist in SCSM but for some reason my chosen criteria in the group is not finding them.

Friday, January 6, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Hey

Use "Windows Computer" as your class to create the group and filter based on one of the following attributes:

- DNSName
    - NetBiosComputerName
    - PrincipalName

That should work. The Class "Windows Server" is not populated by default.

regards
    Marcel

SCSMfaq // Blog --> http://blog.scsmfaq.ch // Twitter --> #scsmfaq // Business --> http://www.itnetx.ch

• Edited by Marcel Zehner Friday, January 6, 2012 8:10 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I created a group for Windows Computer as well. But I used the criteria "Display Name" contains "Cloud":

And it works:

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Both of your suggestions for creating the group worked.  Now I just need to try and route the incidents as you suggested through creation of templates.  I'm confident I'll be able to get that piece working with the assistance I've received here.

Thank you!

Monday, January 9, 2012 8:33 PM