none
Uninstall issue with SteadyState.. RRS feed

• Question

• How do I make my system return to previous state before the install of steadystate..
    Do I have to create a restore point before the install ? Will this Help ?

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Scherian,

From the post, I'd like to confirm if you want to know how to return to the original state after uninstalling Windows SteadyState and if you need to create restore point.

In order to return to the original state, we need to remove restrictions including unlock user profiles in SteadyState before removing it. Please understand that Shared user profiles will retain any restrictions applied to them even after Windows SteadyState has been uninstalled. Thus, if you would like to restore the user profile to the previous status, you need to uncheck all restrictions before removing SteadyState. This has been described in SteadyState handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Based on my test, after removing SteadyState from Add or Remove Programs, all the SteadyState information (including services, files and folders) will be removed completely and the system will be returned to the original state. It is also true that System Restore will not work if we enable Windows Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState. Thus, we do not need to create a restore point before installing SteadyState. If you need the detail steps on how to remove SteadyState, please let me know.

If you have another other questions or concerns, please also let me know.  

Best regards,

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Scherian,

From the post, I'd like to confirm if you want to know how to return to the original state after uninstalling Windows SteadyState and if you need to create restore point.

In order to return to the original state, we need to remove restrictions including unlock user profiles in SteadyState before removing it. Please understand that Shared user profiles will retain any restrictions applied to them even after Windows SteadyState has been uninstalled. Thus, if you would like to restore the user profile to the previous status, you need to uncheck all restrictions before removing SteadyState. This has been described in SteadyState handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Based on my test, after removing SteadyState from Add or Remove Programs, all the SteadyState information (including services, files and folders) will be removed completely and the system will be returned to the original state. It is also true that System Restore will not work if we enable Windows Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState. Thus, we do not need to create a restore point before installing SteadyState. If you need the detail steps on how to remove SteadyState, please let me know.

If you have another other questions or concerns, please also let me know.  

Best regards,

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Thanks Sean. Request to have a detailed steps on how yo remove SteadyState.

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Hi Scherian,

Before we remove SteadyState, we need to check the following settings in it to remove restrictions.

1)      Disable the restrictions in "Global Computer Settings", "Set Computer Restrictions".

2)      Turn off "Protect the Hard Disk".

3)      Unlock all users in "User Settings".

4)      Cancel all the restrictions in each user.  

5)      Restart the computer if you would like to apply the previous settings.

Then, we can log on the computer and remove SteadyState from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Let's see if the uninstall is completed and the system return to the original state without previous restrictions.

Best regards,

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Your directions are superb - clear and concise. Unfortunately, SteadyState has disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list. I cannot reinstall it either, in order to remove it properly. Suggestions, please?

LisaDawn McCabe
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:44 PM
  •  

Hi Lisa,

Based on my test, we need to use the account that used to install SteadyState to log on and then it will be listed in Add/Remove Programs. Therefore, let's use that correct account to log on the computer and check the result.

Best regards,

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:38 AM