none
Indicator Issue - Can't get threshold to work correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will try to give some background as well as the issue I am having. I have a scorecard that I am using to show application availability. I have used the Business modeler to create an AS Cube. I have a Scenario dimension with two siblings 'Actual' & 'SLA' I also have a Dimensions called KPI with a Sibling 'Availability' and last a dimension called 'Account" With several siblings being the Application Name

Ok... so on to the scorecard I have Several Objective KPIs see below for a generic example...

Group Manager
    Technology Manager A
    Department Manager A
    Application Manager A
    Application A
    Availability
    Application B
    Availability
    Application Manager B
    Application C
    Availability
    Application D
    Availability

I have the following mapped in each application KPI
    Actual Calculation = Average of Children
    Actual is being mapped to Account Dimension 'Application A'
    Actual is being mapped to Scenario Dimension 'Actual'

Tatget Calculation = Default
    Calculation box is checked
    Target is being mapped to Account Dimension 'Application A'
    Target is being mapped to Scenario Dimension 'SLA
    Banding by normalized
    Thresholds
    Best = 100%
    Threshold1 = 99.99%
    Threshold2 = 97.99%
    Worst = 0

OK, now on to the scorecard itself.
    I have dragged the KPI 'Availability' dimension under the applications. I have the Target column showing 'Actual' and have overwritten the name to be Actual and have added a second Column Target, showing no indicator and overwritten name to be 'SLA'

For 'Application A' I have a value of 99.00% in my AS Cube for SLA and 98.99% for Actual in my AS Cube. the values show up and are correct in Scorecard. However the indicator is showing up as green... not yellow. If I make the Actual value is 98.00 it turns yellow... If I make the actual 98.01 it turns green...

if i show the score for the Target I see 99.70% Is this why the indicator is turning Green?

what can I do to correct this...

the goal is to show several Dimension KPIs such as availability, number of issues etc under and application and roll it up to a manager and so on... based on SLA thresholds...

thanks in advance... I am beating my head on this...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

•  Snyder, Jason D wrote:

if i show the score for the Target I see 99.70% Is this why the indicator is turning Green?

Jason, you have multiple objective KPIs and multiple leaf level KPIs. Which one has the indicator that is not showing the correct colour? All of them?

Which scoring method are you using Normalized or Raw? This makes a difference to the rollup of indicators. Maybe the contents of this post will assist - http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2007/08/performancepoint-monitoring-scoring.html

Try playing around with individual KPIs using fixed numbers and single objectives in Dashboard Designer using the preview functionality. Doing this will help in understanding how scoring and rollup works in PPS. This thread may also prove helpful.

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:09 PM

All replies

•  Snyder, Jason D wrote:

Jason, you have multiple objective KPIs and multiple leaf level KPIs. Which one has the indicator that is not showing the correct colour? All of them?

Which scoring method are you using Normalized or Raw? This makes a difference to the rollup of indicators. Maybe the contents of this post will assist - http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2007/08/performancepoint-monitoring-scoring.html

Try playing around with individual KPIs using fixed numbers and single objectives in Dashboard Designer using the preview functionality. Doing this will help in understanding how scoring and rollup works in PPS. This thread may also prove helpful.

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Nick,

Thanks for the help... I ended up using banding by actual with normalized numbers to get the rollup correctly... I did have to go back into SQL and change the format of the numbers as the banding would not except any numbers beyond 2 decimal places...
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:21 PM