MOSS 2007 install on windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• PROBLEM:

MOSS 2007 install on windows server 2008 issue

There is a windows server 2008 and when I have been trying to install MOSS 2007 it shows the following error.  The following steps I have done so far to install MOSS 2007. Please advise me what I am doing wrong.

1. Installed WSS 3.0 with SP2

2. Next to this install MOSS 2007, but the following issue comes.

This program is blocked due to compatibility issues Errors in SharePoint 2007 (en-US)

• Moved by Margriet Bruggeman Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:47 AM question is about moss2007 (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    • Edited by MP_ESPL1234 Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:41 AM

Answers

• Ok, I think there's a couple of things to understand here, namely what's causing the error you're seeing and the issue with how you're trying to do the install.

First of all, that error is caused by attempting to install a version of MOSS 2007 that is not compatible with Windows Server 2008; you have to install MOSS 2007 with Service Pack 1 or later in order for it to work properly on Windows Server 2008. That means that you're probably using an installer for the original RTM release of MOSS, rather than one that has Service Packs 1, 2, or 3 included in the installer. You need to either make sure that you get installation bits that include that service pack or take a look at this article on how to manually include the bits for the service pack into your installation files yourself: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/martinkearn/archive/2008/01/14/how-to-create-a-slipstream-installation-for-moss-with-sp1.aspx

Secondly, you don't need to install WSS v3 first before installing MOSS 2007. Yes, MOSS is built on top of WSS v3, but when you install MOSS it will automatically include all of the WSS components along with MOSS without you having to do it yourself first. I would recommend uninstalling WSS v3 from the server before you try to install MOSS 2007 with a service pack included, you may be successful at installing it but it could cause confusion and/or issues down the road. (NOTE: this only holds true for the original install of MOSS. If you apply future updates or service packs you'll need to install the WSS version of the update before you install the MOSS version.)

I'm sorry this is all so confusing, let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:09 PM

All replies

• Ok, I think there's a couple of things to understand here, namely what's causing the error you're seeing and the issue with how you're trying to do the install.

First of all, that error is caused by attempting to install a version of MOSS 2007 that is not compatible with Windows Server 2008; you have to install MOSS 2007 with Service Pack 1 or later in order for it to work properly on Windows Server 2008. That means that you're probably using an installer for the original RTM release of MOSS, rather than one that has Service Packs 1, 2, or 3 included in the installer. You need to either make sure that you get installation bits that include that service pack or take a look at this article on how to manually include the bits for the service pack into your installation files yourself: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/martinkearn/archive/2008/01/14/how-to-create-a-slipstream-installation-for-moss-with-sp1.aspx

Secondly, you don't need to install WSS v3 first before installing MOSS 2007. Yes, MOSS is built on top of WSS v3, but when you install MOSS it will automatically include all of the WSS components along with MOSS without you having to do it yourself first. I would recommend uninstalling WSS v3 from the server before you try to install MOSS 2007 with a service pack included, you may be successful at installing it but it could cause confusion and/or issues down the road. (NOTE: this only holds true for the original install of MOSS. If you apply future updates or service packs you'll need to install the WSS version of the update before you install the MOSS version.)

I'm sorry this is all so confusing, let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:09 PM
  • John,

Many many thanks, MOSS2007 installed successfully as per you suggestion,  now I need to configure server farm which is yet to be done, I am newcomer in sharepoint, so please help me out....

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:28 AM