none
New SCDPM 2012 Deployment Scenario and tape Library Sharing. RRS feed

• Question

• Folks

I am having one SCDPM 2012 SP1 on Server 2008 R2 with one tape library. I am going to build another second DPM on Server 2012 and I want to share the same library which is on first DPM.
    Before I build second DPM server I want to make some doubts clear so it does't create issues later.

Both DPM will be physical.

I am reading technet link to share tape ibrary : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758124.aspx

And My queries are:

1) The tape library must be in a storage area network (SAN) environment.
     >The tape Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive I have is attched to first DPM server through SCSI array.Dont know if it is SAN supported.

2) We recommend that the system configuration of the library server computer and all library client computers be as similar as possible, and that you do not configure any protection groups on the library server.
       >As I have attached library to my first DPM server which is having 22 Protection groups with 562 datasources. Can it be promoted as a Library server? If not then what is solution for this.

3)All DPM servers using a shared library must use a similar SQL Server setup for hosting DPM databases.You cannot have some DPM servers using local instance and others using a remote instance.
       >My first DPM is hosting its Database on its own (local) So should I setup SQL on second DPM localy?

4)SQL accounts should be DOMAIN accounts? On the technet link it is showing SQL failover cluster, where does it require? As image showing it is required between library clients but I will have one library server and one library client, will I needed SQL CLuster?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was related to Tape, now other queries I have if second DPM and tape sharing deployed successfully.

1) First DPM has reached LDM records occupancy 79% and I have identified non-colocated datasources/Protection groups which are occupying larger amount of LDM. I will move/recreate these protected groups on 2nd DPM with COLOCATION so they cant use much LDMs.
       a)Should I stop protection on 1st DPM and add these protection groups on 2nd DPM. Will it allow me to add since Inactive replica there would be on 1st DPM for 30days
       b) Or should I Migrate these PGs?
       c) What is best practice for this?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:41 AM