none
Replacing Enterprise Project plan RRS feed

• Question

• HI, is there a method for replacing a project plan without having to fully the delete the project and its custom fields? The only method I can think of is to delete all rows in the existing project and then to insert the new plan as a sub-project and untick the link to plan tickbox as I do so. This will bring the new plan data into the old albeit now blank plan?

any ideas?

Steve

Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:48 PM

All replies

• Stev -

Have you tried opening the new project, clicking File > Save As, and saving it using the same name as the previous project?  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:05 PM
  • Ill give that a try Dale, thanks

Steve

Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:09 PM
  • Both methods described have their risks/benefits. Bear in mind that, if you use the Save As option, all project custom fields will be replaced and the history of the object will be lost. Using the insert subproject does not overwrite the metadata of the the project. Whether either approach is the "correct" one will depend on your needs and intentions, but I suspect that inserting the original method is the better one for what you describe.

Mark M Webster

Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:51 PM
  • As opined both work fine., but here are some pointers to help you decide

1. Over writing with a new file, you would loose any locally stored views , maps, tables, filters, groups, fields,...

2. I have noticed issues with server side deliverable data base when file is over written. 

However a lot of times it helps to clean up file corruption issues to overwrite with a new copy.

Srikanth Bogadapati

Mark the reply as answered if it answers your query

Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:03 PM