Configure Outlook (or OWA) to highlight RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get Outlook (2016 or o365) to highlight the background of the message list?? Sample image attached;

BlankMonkey

• Edited by BlankMonkey Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:06 PM Could not attach image in original
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my research, there is no built-in option to change the background color of an email in the list.

We cannot highlight emails individually. But we can use Conditional Formatting to highlight emails via rules. (following screenshot is an example)

1. Open the mail folder where you will highlight important emails, and then click the View Settings button on the View tab.
    2. click the Conditional Formatting button (or Automatic Formatting button).
    3. Click Add and then enter a name for the new rule in the Name box.
    4. Click the Condition button and then set criteria as you want.
    5. Click the Font button in the Conditional Format dialog box and specify font style, font size or font color.
    6. Click all OK buttons to close all dialog boxes.

Related articles: Automatically change incoming message colors and fonts based on sender, subject, or recipients

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

I found one similar thread which you can vote:

Option to highlight emails using colors in Microsoft Outlook 2016

As for OWA, as far as I know, this feature is not available currently. You can visit OWA User Voice to submit a feedback.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlankMonkey Friday, August 16, 2019 10:49 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, there is no built-in option to change the background color of an email in the list.

We cannot highlight emails individually. But we can use Conditional Formatting to highlight emails via rules. (following screenshot is an example)

1. Open the mail folder where you will highlight important emails, and then click the View Settings button on the View tab.
    2. click the Conditional Formatting button (or Automatic Formatting button).
    3. Click Add and then enter a name for the new rule in the Name box.
    4. Click the Condition button and then set criteria as you want.
    5. Click the Font button in the Conditional Format dialog box and specify font style, font size or font color.
    6. Click all OK buttons to close all dialog boxes.

Related articles: Automatically change incoming message colors and fonts based on sender, subject, or recipients

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

I found one similar thread which you can vote:

Option to highlight emails using colors in Microsoft Outlook 2016

As for OWA, as far as I know, this feature is not available currently. You can visit OWA User Voice to submit a feedback.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlankMonkey Friday, August 16, 2019 10:49 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Thank you, I suspected as much :(

I will adapt

BlankMonkey

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:12 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:56 PM
  • You are welcome~

By the way, if the information is helpful to you, would you mind helping mark it as answer? This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well :)

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:12 AM