Windows 7 Manual Registry Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have Windows 7 laptops encrypted with Checkpoint Endpoint (no comments!) and sometimes they wont boot.  We have a bypass disk that allows us to access the hard drive through the encryption so I can do a manual registry restore if the PC wont boot.  I can find recent backed up registry files from C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack (SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM and DEFAULT). However, where can I find all of the other backed up registry files?  In Windows XP, you could always navigate to C:\System Volume Information\_restore{4F278807-9942-4AF4-8892-D78C63DAD286}(or similar) and find a list of files in this folder called RPXXX\snapshot and in the snapshot folder where the 5 files listed above (although named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_XXXX).  So where can I find additional registry backup files at
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

• The capability in XP to directly access the 5 registry files in SVI was extremely useful.  Unfortunately, later versions don't store those files in the same discrete form.  As I understand it, SVI in Windows 7 stores the registry changes as deltas in some fashion.  When Windows won't boot it is often possible to boot a Windows installation or Repair media and run System Restore that way.

(See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html  if info needed on that process.)

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:05 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to use Last Known Good Configuration?

If the issue persists, use the original DVD to boot the computer and select to repair your computer to see if it could resolve your issue.

If it's not helpful follow karls0913's method to copy the original registry hive to current location:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/50c51ee9-f25a-4286-9c8c-657b1c6f9868/recovering-windows-7-registry-hivesfiles?forum=w7itprogeneral

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Thanks. I can do the last known good config, but i was hoping to be able to find a specific restore point.  The machine is too old to go back to the original registry settings, would have to reinstall a bunch of program

Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:58 PM
  • The capability in XP to directly access the 5 registry files in SVI was extremely useful.  Unfortunately, later versions don't store those files in the same discrete form.  As I understand it, SVI in Windows 7 stores the registry changes as deltas in some fashion.  When Windows won't boot it is often possible to boot a Windows installation or Repair media and run System Restore that way.

(See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html  if info needed on that process.)

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:05 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:51 PM