missing/corrupted system file in ..\system32\config and in ..\repair folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Could you please help me with this proble ? I have got Windows XP PRO SP3 OEM.

Today when I started pc i have got error meesage system file in Windows/system32/config missing. When I look into folder system file is here, but maybe he is broken. I said fine no problém I have got Windows/repair. I only need to copy default file to config folder.

But..

When I wanted to copy system file from Windows/repair folder there is no system file only system.bak. So I copy this file into Windows/system32/config and rename it onto system. I tried reboot PC, I saw starting Windows logo I almost jump into air, but after few seconds my smile disappear. I got automatic restart. I tried it again, again and again same. So I tried run pc in safe mode with same result.

On the internet I read its can be by oem version of system. But where can I get system file now. Its possible to take system file form another pc ? Thank you for your advice. 

• Edited by Sedlis Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:33 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:29 AM

Answers

• Problem solved.

There is solution which help me, so maybe it can help to others.

Its better when you can unplug disk from pc and connect it to another via usb or via ata/sata such as another disk in the pc.

1. At first at computer you need to see invisible files and protected files of operation system.

Computer > F10 > Tools > Folder options

2. Now on the "corrupted disk" in the root you can see folder called "System volume infomation", but I think you dont have permission for it, right ?

Right click > Properties > Security > Add your self and add rights

-now you can open system volume information folder

3. open _restore{hexa} folder. Now zou can see a lot of folders started RP<number>, try to open the folder with higher nubmer. Next open snapshot folder. Now you can see a lot of files. But we want

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE or _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, choose what you need. Now copy file whant you need for example _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM and rename it for SYSTEM.

4. Open this path Windows\system32\config and rename your corrupted file. For example "system" to system.bad

5. Last copy your new "system" file from SYSTEM VOLUME FOLDER which you created in step 3 to Windows\system32\config folder.

6. Plug your hdd back into your pc and start pc and hope all will be fine :) .

I hope this instruction will help someone, good day and smile :)

• Marked as answer by Sedlis Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:05 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:04 PM