none
MDT 2013 Driver Injection question. Which inf file should I inject?? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to put .inf or .ini file into MDT out-of-box drivers for my motherboard model. But usually, there are setup.exe file or the folders full of .inf files. 

How do I know which .inf file to inject for specific O/S and and instruction sets(x64/x86)? Should I just import everything and choose 'install only matching drivers from the selection profile' from Task Sequence? What's the best practice to inject drivers?

Thanks!

Monday, December 8, 2014 7:42 PM

Answers

• I recommend installing by model. Here are some details on how to configure that in MDT - http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

As for which files are necessary,  the .inf actually contains which hardware ID it's written for in plain text, along with any required system files.  When importing, you import by selecting the inf or cab (zip of multiple inf files) and MDT will import the associated files listed in that inf to the out-of-box drivers folder.

Now the reason I say configure it as specified above, is because if configured properly, MDT will deploy drivers based on the folder of inf's you've imported.  Usually what I do is go and get the latest deployment cab and import, and start with test deployments with that cab.  If you can't find the cab then you need to work to find the inf otherwise, be it through extracting from setup files.  If you can't get it through extraction from setup and the file needs to be run on specific models, then a post install step would be necessary to install the files required on that system.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

Monday, December 8, 2014 8:28 PM