Data Layout EDIT button slow loading RRS feed

• Question

• PAS Standard Edition

We have a briefing book with 5 or 6 views.  On 4 of the views, when the user clicks on the Data Layout tab and then clicks Edit, the new window will open in a few seconds.

But on two of the views, when the user uses the Edit button, the new windows opens, but never finishes.  It just says "please wait" for minutes.

I can't seem to isolate much differences between the views.  Has anyone else run into this?

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• We actually do have PAS listed under two IIS sites.  The port 80 site is stopped.  It is currently running under the sharepoint site. 

There is no customization going on.  Very vanilla install.

We will try uninstalling PAS and then trying the re-install and patches. 

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:37 AM

All replies

• On the two views that load slowly, are they accessing a different cube?  Are the users choosing to edit on a different dimension/hierarchy?  Are there any errors in the IIS log that would match up with the attempts to load editing window in the Standard client?  If so, what are they?

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:48 PM
  • I see two reports of this which were both solved via a PAS reinstall.  However, to avoid that, you may want to run a PC Diagnostic Tool check and look for problems.  Feel free to send the results to me at joprue at microsoft.com and include a ProClarity event viewer log with any errors.

Also, I would suggest putting PAS in its own application pool in IIS, and increasing the value of the ASPMaxRequestEntityAllowed.

-Joey

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Dave,

Your PAS server has the RTM of SSAS components - MSOLAP90.DLL         :2005.090.1399.00.  I would install the latest SSAS OLEDB provider - or, install the entire SSAS SP2 if SQL is on the PAS box.   

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=50b97994-8453-4998-8226-fa42ec403d17&displaylang=en

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services 9.0 OLE DB Provider

I'm still looking at the Event Viewer log file.

-Joey

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Dave,

The diag log shows a mix of 2213 and 2214 components.  I suggest removing all ProClarity programs from this box, rebooting, removing all references to ProClarity from the file system, and then deleting all ProClarity registry keys.  (Regseeker is a handy shareware tool that can expedite the search and deletion of ProClarity reg keys).  Then, reinstall 2214. 

The PAS Event Viewer log shows some errors we've seen before:

CreateQueryHTML

CreatePageHTML_ExplicitSlicerSelection

CreateViewHTML

Here are some suggestions:

1. Using XML Fragments
    2. Connection pooling failures
    3. Using customized PAS code
    4. Running more than one instance of PAS on the same IIS box
    5. ASPMaxRequestEntityAllowed
    6. Older ProClarity builds

Let's take them one at a time:

1. Using XML Fragments - please let me know if you are using these customizations and we can investigate.

2. Connection pooling failures - check and see if disabling connection pooling eliminates this error. Disabling connection pooling has a negligible effect on performance with PAS/SSAS 2005. It can have a much larger impact on PAS/AS 2000.

3. Using customized PAS code - this includes changes to our ASP files or other mixes of different builds. Please let me know if you've done any alterations to these files. You can run a PCDiagnosticTool.exe from the program files\common files\proclarity folder and send me the results. I'd be looking for files that don't match your main version. You might consider reinstalling to verify you have all the same, original files.

4. Two or more PAS installs running on IIS at the same time - let me know if you're running this configuration.

5. ASPMaxRequestEntityAllowed - this setting is an IIS metabase setting that limits the file transfer size of an ASP body. This can cause errors if our transmissions exceed that amount.

6. Older and mixed versions of ProClarity - you may want to consider getting our latest code into your test environment and checking if the error goes away.  These can be downloaded from MSDN or MVLS.  All hot fixes are available by searching download.microsoft.com for "proclarity".

-Joey

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:23 PM
  • We actually do have PAS listed under two IIS sites.  The port 80 site is stopped.  It is currently running under the sharepoint site. 

There is no customization going on.  Very vanilla install.

We will try uninstalling PAS and then trying the re-install and patches. 

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Let us know how this turns out.  If you're still not making any progress you might try moving PAS to its own website and giving it its own application pool as well.  Sometimes Sharepoint doesn't play nice with other apps running on its website.

I'd also still be curious to hear about any differences associated with the views when the page loads slowly.  I'd also like to know if they are editing a different hierarchy when it loads slowly.  Finally, I'd also be curious to know if there are any errors in the IIS log and if so, what they are.

Monday, March 31, 2008 11:14 PM